Simple question?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by H33R, Apr 27, 2005.

1. H33R

H33R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, this is my first ever post on these forums so apologies if this is a stupid or simple question. Have tried to search for the answer without any luck.

I believe some of the sky movies channels transmit sound in 5.1 yet my amp does not seem to be picking this up.

Does the sky box hae to be connected to the amp in a specific way for this to work?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

2. Chris Nicholl

Chris Nicholl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    You can only get 5.1 surround from certain movies (They have "DD" in the program banner) and via a Sky+ box.
    Although some other Sky boxes have an optical out you cannot get 5.1 from these.

If you have a Sky+ box you need to connect to your amp via an optical cable then make sure the optical output is set to "Dolby D"
    This is found in Sound Settings in the System setup menu of your Sky+ box.

If you do not have a Sky+ box - :(

3. H33R

H33R

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks chris. I do have a sky+ box but it has not been connected by an optical cable. Will get this sorted. :smashin:

4. Bluevanman

Bluevanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Full Dolby 5.1 is only broadcast on Sky movies 1,2 and 3 and on some of the Disney channels programs. All other channels will only give you prologic at the moment, no matter how you set up your system.

5. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    This is useful. I just got my SKY+ box this a.m. and was baffled at the lack of 5.1 sound having GOT an optical cable and plugged it straight in, and then wasted half an hour trying to get surround without pro-logic on! Is there no 5.1 on SKY box office either? :thumbsdow :thumbsdow

6. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

SKY moved their DD capable playout hardware from SBO to the normal movie channels when they launched SKY+. For reasons best known to them (probably cost) they have limited their DD5.1 programming which is a shame.

It may be that they considered it too expensive considering the relatively low take up of SKY+ and now High Def is on the horizon that will be the main platform for DD and perhaps DTS audio.