1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

simple question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by clancol, Jan 2, 2004.

1. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    it been asked before, but i soppose times and opinions have changed.

should i get a z2 for about £1400?
    or a graded hs10 for £1250?

Im a bit worried about all these red push and dust blob things i've been hearing about the z2
    Should i be?

Iv'e worked out that i can fill my 180cm width 16-9 screen from 3m20 with the hs10 is this correct.

if i get the sanyo i will get a sony 730 player.
    if i get the sony i will get a hkdvd2550. or similer

the projecter will be behind me about 1.5 meter is this ok for sound levels?

and against the back wall on a shelf? ventalation?

thanks.
    dc

2. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Kramer:hiya:

3. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Side venting on the Z2 so the PJ position shouldnt be too much problem there.

Noise wise I would say you're fine too, but it aint as silent as the brochure speak leads you to believe. Mine is right above my seating position and its not a problem.

For the record [touching wood] I havent had any dust probs and I havent noticed any major red push, but as this is my first pj I'm probably imune to it, for a while at least. :)

4. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anyone else

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Depends if you have a friend to come calibrate it!

The red is a worry, cant deny that. It seems that many are seeing it strongly yet I think if measured it would also turn out it is low in other areas. Dont fear because I guarantee you that it can look fantastic with no red bias at all, but it might not look like that out of the box.

Volume..... it isnt silent but it is very quiet. If you ever use a laptop with a fan, well the Z2 is quieter than the fan on my laptop.... so its pretty quiet.

Ventillation, you will be just fine.

Would you be purchasing from anywhere local? If so this means you can easily go back to the dealer so i wouldnt hesitate with the Z2. But many love their hs10's..... so tough call

ad

6. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    anyone care to say anything for the hs10?

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I doubt that there's anything unsaid about the HS10 on the forum.............

Do you think any members would want to trade their HS10s for a Z2??? I don't think so..........................

buns has given you an uncoloured (no pun intended....) view of the Z2........... I woudn't think that the PJs are comparable in normal circumstances so the issues you should be considering is whether a graded HS10 will have had a replacement lamp, lamp cover or whether you will get a dead pixel check/guarantee from the supplier.

I hope you aren't waiting for someone to make your mind up for you.................

Sean G.

8. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    no iv'e kind of decided on the hs10 just want some confermation that it's the right choice.
    Im i correct in my calculations of the throw.

a 180cm width 16-9 screen from 3.2 meters?

9. dan_wade

dan_wade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What about waiting a month or so for the AE500?
    That will be the same sort of price as the Z2, and fairs a little better in the head to head reviews.

10. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    taken me a long time to get the cash and don't really want to leave it much longer until i get my first projecter.

11. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Problem is with the A500 is its untried and requires a leap of faith, just like the Z2.

12. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well the japan and US both have the 500...... you can read an enormity on avs wrt this

ad

13. WeirdFish

WeirdFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Ok, I admit I don't kepp up with AVS. Is the A500 faultless?

Mind you, does that matter really tho....how many of us cancelled our Z2 pre-orders after we read about VB & red push?

I just think, if you in the market to buy a PJ, make your choice of what is available to you. If you wait for the next big thing they'll be another just around the corner.

If I couldnt have pre-ordered a Z2 at the time I was in that position I would have bought something else.

14. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    of course the AE500 isnt faultless :D i think (take that with pinch of salt) that the AE500 has a very slight edge in performance, screendoor seems to be a bit better with the smootscreen...... but it hasnt got the silence and flexibility of the Z2. The one which has come out in front seems to be the hs20, but this shouldnt be much surprise.

I would choose on availability and whether you need flexibility of lens shift, other differences are likely to be small. The Z2 is very capable, this we know for sure. If you want one now, just go for it, you wont be disappointed.

ad

15. allansr

allansr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I purchased a Graded HS 10 from Robert White via ebay for £1250

Got it a week before Christmas.

The main reason for going for it was the the lens throw suited my room, the good price and the generally good reviews (at double what I paid!). Sceen is about 100" diagonal.

Comments (it is my first projector), prior to proper calibration with Video Essentials (ordered but not arrived yet).

I was worried about bulb problems and poor reliability. It has been used a lot over the last two weeks and has performed faultlessly.

Despite being told graded units normally have low lamp hours mine had done 200 hrs.

The picture with a good quality DVD is excellent. I use a non Prog Scan Sony 725 dvd. Via component.

The amount of detail on for example Monsters Inc is awesome.

I have yet to connect my sky digibox.

It is however noisy. But with a reasonable sound system the noise is rarely distracting.

Blacks clearly are not Black but this is rarley a concern. (is the Z2 any better?)

I am not aware of any dead pixels at all.

I didnt have to purchase any cables to get me going, it comes with the 10m multicable which will suit most rooms

It vents at the front hence close to rear wall is fine.

I have got a full SONY 1 year warranty.

I am I pleased with the purchase - YES!

I was considering a Plasma screen but to pay £3000 to get a slightly larger but inferior picture to my 36" SONY was just daft.

The projector was less than half the price and infinately more entertaining.

Im hooked!!

Allan

16. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Alan,

Another happy HS10 owner :smashin:

Clancol,

No luck in the classifieds? TBH, the recent HS10s that went for £1k were astounding value IMO. I think everyone knows I have a HS10 (with long throw :D), have seen many (most?) other competing LCD/DLP units & just recently saw the HS20.

If I had your budget, could accommodate the throw ratio, could deal with the noise (through wall projection etc.) & was prepared to spend some time tweaking/calibrating (CC40R, HCPC, DVI), I'd certainly opt for the HS10.

Best of luck.

:smoke:

17. clancol

clancol

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I spend half my life on computers due to the games degree that i'm doing and when i watch a movie i want to stay as far away from pc's as i can so the hcpc is out.
    i'll most prob be using it with a sony 730 or hk dvd25.
    i would get a dvi,hdmi player but im going to wait until the dvi route is a few generations old.
    im happy to spend hours callibrtating (altho my partner may object)
    the noise thing i can cope with and.i can just get the right throw distance.
    so my only problem is finding one at a decent price. a new one is over budget 1800
    and i can't find anywhere selling second or graded in stock.
    so the z2 is bang on budget. £1500
    but id be prepared to spend that on a hs10 new or graded.

HELP

18. Quatermass

Quatermass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you were going to go for the Z2 – I reckon when the AE500 finally emerges (looks like been February) Sanyo will reduce the price of the Z2 in order to undercut it. They seem to be pretty similar otherwise except I would choose a Z2 on the basis of the lens shift which is extremely useful!

IMO 730 works well with Z2 - once you have your gamma settings sorted that is!

19. MAD ANDY

MAD ANDY

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    works ok for me (sig my sig) :D