Simple question - connecting a DVD player

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by rickmorley, Jun 5, 2004.

1. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My son is buying a DVD player.

His TV has 2 scart connections:
    'Audio/Video' connects to a VCR
    'S-Video' connects to 'TV Scart' on a Satellite box

There is an unused 'VCR Scart' connector on the Satellite box.
    Should a Scart connection from the DVD to the unused Scart do the job?
    If not, could the DVD connect to an unused 'Aerial' connecting hole or an unused 9pin female connector on the satellite box?
    What happens if the TV receives something through both Scarts at the same time?

Many thanks
    Rick

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The easiest way is to make sure that your son buys a DVD player with two scart sockets so the TV out socket on the satellite box will connect to the second scart socket on the player which will therefore be joined into the player's connection to the TV.

Some people have managed to connect their player to the second scart socket on the satellite box but it doesn't always work.

Another alternative is a scart switching box which is used when someone has more source equipment than scart sockets available on the TV

The unusual socket on the satellite box isn't for connection of audio or video equipment so can't be used here.

3. rickmorley

rickmorley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ian

Thank you for the speedy and helpful reply.

I was not sure whether Scart sockets were one or two way. Sounds like what you are saying is they might only be usable 1-way.

Excuse me spelling it out in pernickety detail but I think that whatyou are recommending is that all signals from the satellelite box will go via the DVD player to the TV. However, there is a possibility that my original suggestion, signals from the DVD player going via the satellite box to the TV could also work. The latter approach or a scart switching box should be unneccessary if the DVD has 2 Scarts.

Rick

4. nikyzf

nikyzf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any reason for not having this setup?
    Sat -> VCR -> TV or VCR -> Sat -> TV on one SCART* and
    DVD -> TV on the other?
    * Even assuming that both the VCR and Sat have 2 SCART sockets, the SCARTs might not all work in the same way. Also, bear in mind that SCART leads can be fully or partially wired. A bit of trial and error might be required to make sure you have all the connection options you need.
    :)