Simple Question (after using the search option)

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs Forum' started by clubber, Nov 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok guys I've been searching these forums for at least 3 hours now and i still can't make my mind up on which TV to buy so i really could do with some help if thats ok.

I'll be using my TV for Xbox 360 and Sky+ mainly, i will use the PC to TV function sometimes and i will watch DVD's. I plan on getting Sky HD in about a year cuz i'm only a student.

I'm willing to pay maximum of £900 and i don't want anything smaller than a 32"

Before u scream Samsung at me, i've looked at this TV from every angle and it is nice, but i'm just exploring my options.

Thanks alot :)

2. Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I'm looking for an LCD too but can't decide whether to get a 37" or if 32" is plenty for my needs.

If I go for a 32" then I will probably be getting the JVC LT32DS6 which seems to be the best LCD for under £1K. It's won many awards and been very highly rated by all the top magazines. Oh and it has a 7ms response time so it'll be excellent for gaming and a pretty high contrast ratio of 1000:1 which is very good for an LCD.

I've seen the JVC for £970 so if you can find £70 extra from somewhere you're sorted!

3. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    You can also get the Sharp LC32GA6E for £820 from Digi-UK or from another online retailer for less than £900 :thumbsup:

http://www.sharp.co.uk/Product.aspx?ID=1069

Its the one I will most likely be getting but for the past few weeks I have been researching the Samsung LE32R41BD and the Sharp LC32GA6E and the Sharp is slowly becoming my favourite ;)

4. Dan Gleebitz

Dan Gleebitz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    The Sharp has a 16 ms response time (more than twice as high as the JVC) so it won't be as good for Xbox 360.

I wouldn't go for the Samsung, it's an ok tv but that's just it... There's nothing special about it and it just seems boring to me, plus everyone under the sun seems to be getting one. Maybe it's because I like to be different :D

5. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Have Sharp and JVC used the exact same method of measuring the response time of their LCDs?

If so, which method is it? Black to whites or greys to greys etc?

Its difficult to compare the response times of one manufactures LCD to anothers since they don't seem to stick to one standard of measuring the response time.

6. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Oh and if both JVC and Sharp did use the same standard of response time measurement then I will seriously consider the JVC!

Cheapest I've seen the JVC for is £1006.79 with delivery.

7. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    The good old numbers game...meaningless marketing mumbo jumbo. 16ms is more than quick enough for even NTSC frame rates. And knowing Sharp, I bet they are conservative with their value. Doesn't the JVC LT-37DS6 use a Sharp panel - odd that JVC are quoting 12ms and Sharp are quoting 16ms for potentially the same 37" panel so I their 7ms value for ther 32" version is probably equally suspect.

8. leeb

leeb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    Taken from Sharps website (FAQ):

It is difficult to accurately compare the response speed of Aquos TV sets with other Manufacturers LCD TV’s. To do this you need to know how they measure the response speed. There are various methods used and these give differing readings. Please take the time, if you want a comparison, to research the method used by each manufacturer.
    At Sharp we measure the time taken from black to white and black to black, some other Manufacturers measure from grey to white and black to grey – therefore not giving an accurate full cycle response speed but producing a reduced figure.

:)

9. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank for all the replies but we're going a bit off topic now.

I love that JVC one, it looks so smart and i hadent seen it before now.

I'm not too keen on the Sharp one, it looks more like a PC monitor and the design is very important to me.

So i guess its between the Samsung 32" and the JVC 32"

Could someone please explain to me, appart from the design, why i should pay around £200 more for the JVC than i would for the Samsung. Baring in mind, i will be using it for Xbox 360 and SKY+ (Sky HD in a year)

Please also keep in mind i'm not very good with all the technical stuff, all i want is an excellent picture quality for my Xbox 360 and my Sky +

Thank you :)

10. clubber

clubber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bump :(