Simple question about Itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by j3ff3, Jun 11, 2008.

Tags:
  1. j3ff3

j3ff3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Hi all,

Simple question, but I've recently bought a new pc and accidently wiped my old harddrive (with my music on it) when trying to eliminate a different harddrive as the cause of my new build's problems.

So now the only backup I have is on my Ipod. How do I connect it to a new version of Itunes and get it to see all the songs and their ratings? I know you can set itunes to sync manually, but I'm still worried that when I sync my ipod it will copy the itunes playlist (empty) onto the ipod, wiping out my songs with it.

Am I worrying for the sake of it?

Cheers.

2. nheather

nheather
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,896
    You can't with iTunes - you can only recover tunes that you have purchased through iTunes.

You need to use a third part product - there are loads of freeware\shareware ones

Try here for alternatives

http://www.simplehelp.net/2007/07/08/10-alternatives-to-itunes-for-managing-your-ipod/

I have had success with SharePod

That will get your music onto the PC - if it is held as music files you can then use the Import File or Folder function on iTunes.

That will have iTunes pointing to a non-itunes folder structure.

If you want to bring them into iTunes fully then use the Consolidate function.

Cheers,

Nigel

3. dbeevers

dbeevers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
  4. j3ff3

j3ff3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    cheers nigel. it seems ridiculous that itunes won't let you do this. i hate the way their flawed efforts to prevent piracy actually hamper the consumer's legitimate experience.

Ill give that program a try - did use igadget before, but the trial version only let you move one file at a time. good program though.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1202 - apple do try to say that its possible, but I just don't believe them....

Dbeevers - cheers, but the link is apparantly 'invalid' - "contact your administrator" ;)

5. j3ff3

j3ff3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    infact would mediamonkey do the same thing? have heard good things, but the description doesn't specify extracting tunes from an ipod, whereas sharepod does