• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Simple Network Streamer

mclosi

Standard Member
Hi,

I have a Synology DS212j and just want a simple streamer for my daughters bedroom. I don't want to spend loads and have a tried a couple with no joy.
Have used a cyclone sumvison before but as this has on board storage as well, is more than what i need for this room.
Can some one recommend a descent one?

Thank you

limegreenzx

Banned
Have you thought about using a Bluray player if your daughter does not already have a player. Many Samsung and LG "Smart" players have good support playing via dlna servers.

MarkE19

If you don't own any DVD's then where did all the films on your NAS come from?

If they are iTunes downloads then AFAIK you need an Apple device to play them on as I don't think any other sreamers can work with iTunes or the likely DRM their downloads would have.
But if they were torrent downloads then you are on your own as we are not allowed to talk about illegal downloads on the forum.

Mark.

mclosi

Standard Member
Not bit torrents, I buy a DVD Nd then rip it, stick it on nas and then watch through smart tv or me iPad, or daughter watches on streamer which is what I want to do in me bedroom.

MarkE19

That is fine as long as you still own the original DVD's. If you sell on the disc then you also sell on the right to watch the ripped version.

Mark.

MarkE19

Picking a media player depends on a lot of things, such as the media formats you want to play, how much you want to spend, do you want a video wall etc.

A good and not too expensive media player is the WDTV Live SMP at around £80. It will play just about all the common video formats and has a built in video wall. For the money it is hard to beat.

if you want a player that can access the disc menu from a BluRay rip then you need to spend more money and get something like a Dune Smart H1 at around £175

HTH,
Mark.

barrykap

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am too looking for a simple network streamer that will simply play my TS files recorded from satellite box. They are all saved to my NAS drive and I am currently using a WD live TV streamer which to my mind is absolutely crap for playing these sort of files. As the fast forwarding and skipping just drives me nuts with for example the display of the position blocking out half the picture for ages before it clears. Also when fast-forwarding and 'skipping' it jumps either to the next file or a ridiculously big 'skip' amount so two presses and a hour long clip is over. :)

It also has many things i iwll never use so just a simple TS player of sorts will do me. Anything around?

Cheers.

barrykap

Thanks.

But as I said I am disapointed with WD Live version for the erratic playback performance. Is this one much better in that respect do you know?

Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom