1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Network Client?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by SimonInd, Feb 14, 2005.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I've currently got a Hauppauge MVP sat in the lounge for watching TV recordings and listening to music, however the DVD player that lives there is on it's way out and I'm therefore thinking maybe I should just play DVDs off the hard-drive. My 2 year-old is the heaviest user of the system so the library of DVDs will be pretty small and the lack of moving parts and physical media is appealling. Does anyone have any recommendations?

The MVP won't decode Dolby Digital so it can't play .VOB files directly and I'm yet to find software that will take a NTSC/PAL dvd, rip it to HD, leaving the video untouched and downmixing the soundtrack to 2-channel PCM.

Any thoughts appreciated

Cheers

Simon

2. bartp

bartp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what about neuston?

3. Danieluwe

Danieluwe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    you might want to try looking at a program called auto gordian knot,

It was reccomended to me by lisag and is a great way easily convert dvds to xvid/divx with either mp3 or ac3 sound,

You can control the quality and size of the file created and as the loss in quality is minimal it should be ok at least for a movie library for the kids.