1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple Minds - Black & White 050505

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by MacReady, Sep 13, 2005.

1. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    For anyone who likes bands like The Killers, The Bravery and even Kasabian in some respects, then you have to get this album and hear where these bands got their ideas and inspiration from!!!

I admit to still being a big Simple Minds fan and had only heard the album as a few low quality MP3's about a month ago and the resisted listening to any more....I am glad I did.

The album is simply brilliant and so much better than their last few releases.

2. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK, I choose to believe you on this. I used to be a huge Simple Minds fan.

New Gold Dream was one of my favourite albums when I was at school, Sparkle In The Rain got me through my exams and Once Upon A Time was a work of pure genius in my formative college years...

But...

I still haven't forgiven them for the absolute self indulgent ***** that followed.

I'm tempted to blame Chrissie Hind. The bitch should never have left Jim...

So I'm going to give it a go, and hope he's over it...

3. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    :eek: :eek: :eek: Now you will blame me if you don't like it ;)

It is no New Gold Dream that is for sure but it is by far their best album since Streetfighting Years. I havn't stopped listening to it since Monday and I am still hearing little bits here and there that are nice throwbacks to sounds on some of their early albums...it's great :thumbsup:

4. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Too right I'll blame you!!! ;)

Only kidding. Don't mind if it's not New Gold Dream. Just hope it isn't Street Fighting Years...

Might set myself up a few mp3 samplers first. :D

5. newbie265

newbie265

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will be buying this as i am seing them twice next year ,hope its a return to form.
    There are samplers on their website if you want to preview first.

6. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Guess what? You're off the hook!

Got to listen to a few tracks, including the single, and was mightily impressed. So I got the album. Top stuff. By far the best thing since the early 80s!

Don't think it has the stand out tracks like Alive & Kicking and Waterfront, but as a whole it's very good indeed. All the tracks are quite strong.

You go to the top of my list of people with taste. Cheers! :thumbsup:

7. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Hang on, I wouldn't go that far ;)

Glad you like it. I am looking forward to seeing them live next year now.

8. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +157
    After reading this a few days ago I played NGD and my personel fav Sparkle In The Rain, which consideing I haven't played it for ages still sounds better than 95% of the junk around at the moment, and not as dated as I thought it would be.

Up on the catwalk and Waterfront still sound so powerfull.

So apart from the new album, which i haven't heard, and the two i own, which are the only two i have heard, what other SM albums are up to the same standard?

9. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Well I would recomend you give Once Upon A Time a listen. It is much more 'Americanised' than the previous albums but still sounds fantastic to this day. The DVD-A EMI Signature edition is the one to go for as it was completely remixed by Roland Prent and Charlie Burchill and includes the full versions of some of the tracks that were not on the original release plus it has never sounded as good :thumbsup:

If you really like New Gold Dream then I would also listen to Sons and Fascination/Sister Feelings Call as it has a very similar feel to it but almost feels like the band were on there way to finding that killer album that was just around the corner.

Black & White is a must buy as far as I am concerned :smashin:

10. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Listened to Jim Kerr on Radio 2 last week when they played a few old classics. Reminded me how good they were so I dug out a few old albums and stuck them in the car.

Street Fighting Years - forgot how good that was...

Saw them play live when they headlined the Milton Keynes Bowl - can't see them doing that these days but good to see they are still at it.

Cheers

11. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmm I think the output in the new millenium surpasses anything they released in the 90's. The sheer output of work I think eclipses the 90s too. Most of the gigs I have been to on the last few tours have been nothing but a revelation. The setlists have just been awesome, something for everyone, I was nearly in tears a few years back when Jim popped on stage with a sheet of lyrics written on it and started to sing Chelsea Girl, literally a dream come true for me. The night before also at the Alber Hall they had performed Life in a Day. I never though I would hear the band play those tracks but apparently the new bass player Eddy Duffy is a massive fan of the early Simple Minds work & convinced Jim & Charlie it was about time they got an airing. Also played on that tour where the following early tracks...

Dead Vandals (Johnny & the Self Abusers)
    I Travel
    Hunter & the Hunted
    In Trance as Mission
    Sweat in Bullet

Can't wait for the new tour now, I always dread a new SM album as I always only end up disapointed so have not downloaded this avoided the snippets on teh website & can only say how great it is.

Don't forget the band are on Johnathon Ross this Friday..

Regards

Gary

12. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    All the old songs they performed on the last tour were an absolute joy to hear. As you say Gary, I had given up hope on hearing many of their older catalogue played live by the band but thanks to Mr Duffy we are getting to listen to some true classics :thumbsup:

13. allanco

allanco
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hope you don't mind me busting in on this thread, I was looking for the Simple Minds forums on their own website, but for some reason I can't access anything on the site accept for news and tour dates.
    If any of you guys happen to visit their site can you tell me if its working properly.
    Going back to the album, I ordered it last week after hearing the news that it sounds like they are back to their old form. I have to say though that after a number of listenings both Cry and Neon lights and even Néapolis arn't as bad as I first thought, they are certainly growers, just takes a couple of years!
    BTW today I got hold of a copy of the so called "Lost Album" Our Secrets Are The Same from a guy in the Ukraine of all places and it IS a great album, I have had it playing all day in the background and there are some excellent tracks, Space and Death by Chocolate being the stand outs at the mo.
    Saw them play at Guildford last year and they were pretty good,hope to seem them play a bigger set next year. :clap:

14. MMMSTREAKER

MMMSTREAKER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, this is my first post!
    I am also very impressed with Black and white, a definate return to form! Every song is quality, and i'm playing it to death!
    It's a pity that they are rarely played on radio, however. Without airplay, they will not have hits, without hits they will not sell many albums, and if they don't sell albums they may decide to stop recording, and that would be a disaster!
    Rant over......just go and buy the album!

15. CelticTerry

CelticTerry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been a Minds fan since Don't You Forget About Me was released. Over the years I bought every CD they ever released and New Gold Dream quickly became my favourite, followed by Once Upon A Time and Sparkle In The Rain. My first ever concert was seeing them in Aberdeen in 1991 on the Real Life tour. I was a huge fan, but after Good News From The Next World even I lost the faith. Some ten years later after I seen Jim interviewed on TV talking about this new album being a return to the old Simple Minds sound, I decided why not, and bought it from HMV. It took only a few listens to realise this is a classic Simple Minds album and easily the best since Street Fighting Years 16 years ago! I haven't stopped playing it, its wonderful. I now have two tickets for their Aberdeen gig in February next year! ACE! :clap:

16. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I think the band really have shown what great music they are capable of with B&W and the music press is finally taking them seriously again (I have not seen many reviews of the album that have not been singing it's praises!).

It is a shame it did not chart higher as I honestly think that more people would love this album if they just got over the fact it is Simple Minds. A friend at work was making fun of me raving about it when it came out. We were both going out to the same office yesterday so I gave her a lift and had B&W on in the car...after a few songs she said "Who is this by the way...it is VERY good!"

She has bought it today :smashin:

17. CelticTerry

CelticTerry
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, I mentioned to a girl at work that I loved the Minds new album, and her first response was "I didn't know they were still going!", but I am giving her a copy of the album and I know she will love it. I am sure the quality of the music on the album will slowly gain it the sales it deserves. The performance on The Jonathon Ross Show last night will help, he described it as an outstanding new album, despite taking the mick earlier on the show, as he does with all his guests! :thumbsup:

18. cabstar

cabstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hmmmm NME only gave it 2 out of 10

Regards

Gary

19. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Couldn't think of a better recomendation ;)

20. Pauleylad

Pauleylad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I've bought the album and have listened to it a few times now. Its a great album. The opening and closing tracks Stay Visible and Dolphins are works of art to my ears.

Cheers

21. MacReady

MacReady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I can't believe that it has pretty much disapeared out of the charts :( It has got quite a bit of promotion, the band have been on TV and radio loads, the reviews have mostly been very good and the tour is selling out...so why are more people not buying the album?

Are there so many people up their own ar$es that they cannot stomach the thought of buying a Simple Minds album just because they are not the 'in' band to be listening to at the moment??