Simple (Maybe) Progressive Scan Question

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DennyL, Jan 2, 2005.

1. DennyL

DennyL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Some DVD players have 'PAL progressive scan', others have 'PAL/NTSC progressive scan'. What's the difference?

This could mean that the PAL-only ones will work in PS mode only when feeding a PAL compliant TV, which I suppose most of us in the UK do have. Or it could mean that, when playing eg a region 1 DVD from the US, PG is not an option. Or it might mean something else.

Do UK multi-region DVD players have the ability to convert NTSC DVDs to PAL, albeit at the NTSC frame rate, prior to outputting them to the TV/display, or do they require an NTSC-compliant TV to work? (I have an NTSC-compliant TV so don't know what's going on.)

I'm asking this because I have a lot of DVDs from various regions and countries, and hope to be able to play them in PG mode, and need to know what sort of player I need to do this.

Could anyone put me straight on this, please.

Thank your for any comments.

Dennis