Simple HTPC questions

JohnnyHibs

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hello, could anyone help by answering the following questions?

• Can you specify which video player to use in Vista Media Centre, or will it only use Windows Media Player?
  • Which software is best for upscaling?
  • Will a TV tuner card output a better picture than the internal freeview on the Samsung LE32R87 LCD?
  • Whats the best way to get DVDs onto the hard drive? Do they have to be ripped first?
  • Can you rip blu-ray DVDs without a blu-ray drive? If not, can a blu-ray DVD be ripped with a blu-ray DVD drive?
  • Can you switch the HTPC on and off with the Media Centre remote?
Thanks,

Johnny.

It doesn't use the video player, it uses things called "codecs". Windows will usually use the same codecs for playing a video file in any application. You can change the codecs it uses to play various files, but I would recommend NOT fiddling until after you've done a fair amount of reading.

Upscaling - dunno

People are often disappointed with the picture quality compared to their "$20 set top box", I assume because their expecting it to be significantly better. I have an LE40R87BD, and my VMC is much better than the in built tuner. I would recommend a decent TV Tuner card, just for the support and better drivers etc.

Yes DVDs need to be ripped onto the HD. I use DVD Shrink.

Dunno, but I assume not. Again, dunno, but I assume not.

Actually, you don't do either. You set up the media center to "sleep" - this way it will wake up to record something, if it's off, it can't. You can sleep and wake a media center from the remote.

What TV tuner do you have? Also, did you have to change alot of settings to get the picture quality the way you wanted it?

When you rip your DVDs, what file are you left with?

Thanks,

Johnny.

For upscaling FFDshow is generally the best and cheapest option, endlessly configurable and plenty of guides out on the web

Cant switch a HTPC on and off but you can send it to a sleep state known as S3 where the power consumption is minimal

You cant read a blu ray DVD with a blu ray drive and yes you can rip a blu ray to your HDD

Last edited:
For upscaling FFDshow is generally the best and cheapest option, endlessly configurable and plenty of guides out on the web

Cant switch a HTPC on and off but you can send it to a sleep state known as S3 where the power consumption is minimal

You cant read a blu ray DVD with a blu ray drive and yes you can rip a blu ray to your HDD

Will there be anyway to use FFDshow in Vista Media Centre?

What software will be needed to rip blu-rays? Whats the average size of a blu-ray rip?

What software will be needed to rip blu-rays? Whats the average size of a blu-ray rip?

Yes you can use FFdshow with VMC but a little knowledge on how to change directshow filter priorities is required - if you arent familiar with how to do this i wouldnt try playing around with FFDshow just yet

Have a read of Mickwalls excellent sticky on configuring filters and codecs

The software required to rip BD discs depends on how you want to rip or demux the film - id suggest trying the Doom9 or afterdawn forums for info on this

Your going to need Slysoft AnydvdHD for ripping Blu Rays as well as making your HTPC multiregion for DVD and Blu Ray Playback i have it and it is well worth the money compared to buying a stand alone player that is Blu Ray Multiregion, AnyDVDHD currently costs around £60 i think

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom