Simple Home NAS

Nakatsu_Hime

Established Member
Reaction score
My old NAS drive was knocked out, but it's no longer offered. All the new ones seem to be overcomplicated.
All I need it to do is act like an independent HDD, connected to my WiFi network via my router, so I can access files on devices at home - including mp3 and photos.

I do not require any kind of cloud connection, as I will not be connecting outside of my home network.
I do not require any whizzy bundled apps.
I DO want to buy it with the HDs, rather than having to provide those myself.

The only one I've managed to find is the Buffalo Linkstation, but it always seems to be out of stock.
Are these suitable for me, or any other recommendations?

Thanks

You don't mention the size of HDD required or a budget, I'll also assume you want a single drive NAS. If so, then I'd recommend the Synology DS120J. Amazon will sell it with either WD or Seagate drives (but it'll be more expensive than buying the enclosure and drive separately).

The advantage of Synology (or the comparable Qnap NAS) is that there's a lot of online support available, and the operating software is regularly updated.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Capacity is preferred to be no less that 3Tb, so I guess that would usually be the 4Tb option.

Budget - £300-ish, but depending on offerings, that's flexible.

Would you like the disk mirrored in case it fails ?

It would be useful, but not a deal-breaker if not.
The reason my last one failed was due to me dusting it off its shelf.
Whoops. Actually one copy might of survived if you did a scheduled copy, say overnight, then one disk would have been parked. That method is useful to protect against crypto viruses.

Whoops. Actually one copy might of survived if you did a scheduled copy, say overnight, then one disk would have been parked. That method is useful to protect against crypto viruses.
The old NAS was a single-drive, but seemed to be forever doing something.

The old NAS was a single-drive, but seemed to be forever doing something.
You may not see much improvement if connection over WiFi.

But the problem is that most routers don't have great NAS performance. Having a dedicated NAS should make a big difference.

Last edited:
I'd suggest good router(Asus RT-AC86U for example) and attach drive to it. I`m using it for quite a few years and it works a treat.

You may not see much improvement if connection over WiFi.

But the problem is that most routers don't have great NAS performance. Having a dedicated NAS should make a big difference.

For the OP usage router as a NAS would be more than enough.

I'm streaming 4k files to my media player over wifi without a hiccup.

I just use a 500Gb hard drive formatted to FAT32 and plugged into the front end USB input of my Yamaha NP-S303 streamer. Works great.

My existing router is more than adequate for streaming, since the streaming will be of mp3s or still images, rather than any sort of movie files.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom