Quantcast

Simple home cinema set up

Neilrob9

Novice Member
Hi there
I've had the same set up for the past 9 years or so. Panasonic Viera plasma TV, Panasonic SC BTT370 blu ray home theatre sound system and a sky box. Not even sure if I set it up properly initially but it worked so left it. At the weekend I bought a 65 inch Samsung UHD tv and I've got everything connected the same but as it's a different make to the home cinema now, I cant get the tv sound to come out of the surround speakers. It didn't matter before but as it's a smart tv I would have to use the tv speakers to use with Netflix etc.
Set up -
TV hdmi 3 Arc to the cinema av in and hdmi 1 to sky hd box
Sky to tv and optical to cinema
Cinema hdmi Arc out to tv. Hdmi 1 in to ps4 and hdmi 2 to fire stick. Both I nearly use.

My cables are probably as old as the set up. Do I need new ones? Is there an option I've not checked?

Appreciate any help
Thanks
Neil

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I'd check here first to make sure your TV is setup correctly

Samsung Audio Return channel (ARC)

If you are further struggling, using the optical could work, but as you are using the HDMI inputs with the Fire Stick (is this still needed due to the smart features in the TV) and PS4 it makes it quite difficult

If you have a very old HDMI cable too, it might be time to replace it as some old HDMI cables don't have the ability to work with ARC (this will have to be a very old cable though)

Take a look at the Panasonic's manual to make sure you have all the correct parts engaged like

(ARC can be a bit of a nightmare especially with older products and it could be one of any of the HDMI features causing you the issue - I'd say the simplest option is for your to browse the manual using a windows PC using a chrome browser - if so, press CTRL+F together on the keyboard (this will open a small search option), type ARC and press Enter and this will give you a smaller up/down arrow for you to easily navigate all the options available to you on the manual)

Neilrob9

Novice Member
Hi Shane, really appreciate your reply and help.

I've just ordered a couple of new cables which should land tomorrow so will report back with the results. Would I still need the optical cable if these new hdmi leads work?
The ps4 and firestick are barely used, would it make a difference if these weren't connected to the cinema and should I connect sky to hdmi 1 in?

Thanks again for your help.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
If the other cables work, then no you shouldn't need an optical. The only reason you would need the optical is if the HDMI (ARC) didn't work due to comparability issues

Neilrob9

Novice Member
I think it could be the cable then as I've unplugged the optical and had no sound. In the manual it has the sky box going into the cinema but I have it direct to the tv. Which would you recommend?

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
I would always connect all the sources into the receiver/amp. But you haven’t done anything wrong as it ought to work that way. The only time you have to take notice is if it’s a particular sound format you’re after and the device being used cannot work with it

Connectivity wise regarding the PlayStation and Fire Stick. No it should ok even though old HDMI products can be fickle too, but as they have worked before, they should still be fine