simple HDMI to RCA cable or cable with converter

stingray230sx

Standard Member
Reaction score
I just replaced my roku device with a slightly newer model, and want to repurpose the older "stick" to the spare bedroom tv which is barely used.
however that tv, while a Sanyo flatscreen, is older and does not have a HDMI input.
I would like to get a cable to convert the HDMI output of the roku to the RCA of the tv.
since it is rarely used, but is used occasionally I would like the occasional guest to be able to use the roku as in the future I am moving away from the cable tv, and also I would like to not spend a fortune on one of those cables with the powered boxes, and just get a cheaper "simple" cable that indicates 1080p etc.
am I correct in thinking that this should be sufficient as the flatscreen should accept the signal correctly from the roku device?
or will it require the more complicated cable with the powered box "converting" the signal?
thanks
douglas

Yes you will need some sort of conversion box. As HDMI has copy protection (HDCP) a simple cable cannot accommodate this.

Get an HDMI to RCA Adapter from Amazon which are inexpensive but I cannot voucher for the quality, don't expect great quality and you might not be disappointed. I would normally include a link but we are primarily a UK based and there are loads with various customer ratings.

Maybe see if @Joe Fernand has any suggestions although I would thing that the price of a new TV will be cheaper than most solutions which just work!

Sadly, even a 40" TV can be had for around £200 quid now

I nearly said cheaper to buy another TV too but I did find an adapter for £7 so may be worth a punt first :D
I did think that, but the problem with many cheap devices is they just don't work and if they its bitty and seems to so hard work just just enjoy plus that HDCP is another thing. Ones that do work without a hiccup will most cost more than the a budget TV which is why I mentioned it

I guess, if its only £7 quid (with deliver on top I guess), there is nothing lost trying it and if it doesn't work, then I wouldn't spend any more as it'll turn into £40 very quickly and that could be put towards a new TV

Yes you will need some sort of conversion box. As HDMI has copy protection (HDCP) a simple cable cannot accommodate this.

Get an HDMI to RCA Adapter from Amazon which are inexpensive but I cannot voucher for the quality, don't expect great quality and you might not be disappointed. I would normally include a link but we are primarily a UK based and there are loads with various customer ratings.
so this kind wont work? Amazon product ASIN B099ZZ1YYV

but something like this or similar will possibly work? Amazon product ASIN B0814Z34XG

Maybe see if @Joe Fernand has any suggestions although I would thing that the price of a new TV will be cheaper than most solutions which just work!

Sadly, even a 40" TV can be had for around £200 quid now
oh I get it, but the new tv money is going towards two bedrooms and a long hallway of hardwood flooring, lol...and its just a spare room tv so ima waiting to upgrade the mewest tv, THEN I can move one of the newer tv's in that room.

And further the HDMI to 3RCA cable could damage any device it is plugged in to so avoid at all costs unless you have some weird device which is using an HDMI connector as a non standard HDMI connector.

Joe

If the TV has a SCART Input which accepts an RGB signal I would look for an HDMI to RGB SCART converter - the image will be a lot better than HDMI to Composite video, you could also look for an HDMI to Component (YUV) converter if the TV supports Component video.

You also need to know what formats the Source device can be set to Output as a straight 'converter' with no down conversion may not work if the Input is 1080p and the TV is SD only!

Joe

If the TV has a SCART Input which accepts an RGB signal I would look for an HDMI to RGB SCART converter - the image will be a lot better than HDMI to Composite video, you could also look for an HDMI to Component (YUV) converter if the TV supports Component video.

You also need to know what formats the Source device can be set to Output as a straight 'converter' with no down conversion may not work if the Input is 1080p and the TV is SD only!

Joe
As the OP is the USA, it is unlikely that the TV would have SCART as that is a European connector standard.

HDMI to YUV (Component) is the option then if the Op is in the US, plus the ability for the Source or Converter to Output 480i60 (or whatever the TV supports).

Joe

HDMI is a purely digital signal, so there has to be an active signal converter to change from HDMI to the analog signalling for RCA. There’s a couple ways it won’t work.

I’ll bet there are companies selling HDMI cables with RCA connectors soldered at one end. They’ll look nice and be cheap but won’t work at all.

There are a number of companies selling HDMI to RCA converters that work great as long as the HDMI signal isn’t encrypted. However those are only useful for a small number of HDMI sources.

There are HDMI to RCA converters that have the decryption built in. These will do what you want, but they probably have to embed the Macrovision copy protection into the analog signal (at least in the USA).

There are also HDMI to RCA converters that decrypt the digital signal and put out a clean analog signal. These are probably mostly illegal in the US, Canada and Europe since they bypass any copy protection.

No that wont work , that is , from the moment it was created , a fraud.
There is no HDMI device that will work with , and the business model of these frauds is you make the device cheap enough that the victim cant be bothered to return it.
The third party sellers list is awash with fraudulent items like this on Amazon and everywhere else.

All HDMI input to analog output devices are illegal under the DMCA or equivalent because they must strip away the HDCP digital copy protention.

Only conversion from Digital to digital with lesser version number copy protection is allowed , for example HDfury HDCP2.2 to 1.4 is allowed , but all the analog versions had to be discontinued after the initial court case.

Those HDMI to analog converters that do exist dont exist for long as they are illegal and consequently are very unreliable.

Sellers like Amazon continue to support these fraudulent suppliers of dodgy electronic goods to unsuspecting customers. By far the worst are the miraculous "Indoor Aerials" which non tech savvy customers waste their money on. In some situations they may work, but then so would a wire coat hanger! People are roped in with promises that they will pick up transmissions from hundreds of miles away. I've also seen claims that they will pick up Fox and CBS channels which are not available OTA in the UK, nor are 4K transmissions. There is one aerial + booster on sale on Amazon right now for £54.99 which will apparently pick up channels from 480km away! You get "Crystal clear reception even in thunderstorms" Wow! Sadly people waste money on this imported cr*p. The cost of postage makes it unrealistic to send it back.

Last edited:
Sellers like Amazon continue to support these fraudulent suppliers of dodgy electronic goods to unsuspecting customers. By far the worst are the miraculous "Indoor Aerials" which non tech savvy customers waste their money on. In some situations they may work, but then so would a wire coat hanger! People are roped in with promises that they will pick up transmissions from hundreds of miles away. I've also seen claims that they will pick up Fox and CBS channels which are not available OTA in the UK, nor are 4K transmissions. There is one aerial + booster on sale on Amazon right now for £54.99 which will apparently pick up channels from 480km away! You get "Crystal clear reception even in thunderstorms" Wow! Sadly people waste money on this imported cr*p. The cost of postage makes it unrealistic to send it back.
yea, my favorite is the one where they are on a boat way out in the ocean, and are stating they get 100's of channels crystal clear....

Which TV do you have?

Joe
it's a Sanyo, but i am an idiot.......the tv is sitting with the left side is almost against a wall, and I initially peered around the back from the right side, and saw only the rca inputs, along with the cable, as I currently don't use a converter from the cable company since this tv is rarely used, and the tv decodes the available channels just fine, I just don't have the use of the "guide" descriptions etc.
After going back to it, and actually playing with the remote, It does indeed have 2 HDMI inputs, they just face to the left off the edge of the tv frame.
so my device works just fine, and I apologize for taking up everyone's time.

Get an HDMI to RCA Adapter from Amazon which are inexpensive but I cannot voucher for the quality, don't expect great quality and you might not be disappointed.
Thanks, but as I discovered by moving the tv after playing with the remote, the tv does have hdmi inputs, they were just hidden on the left side of the tv, versus being readily seen from the back

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom