Simple hd question

MarkusThatch

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if the hd signal from a sky hd box can only be handled by a hd ready tv? The reason I ask is that currently I'm using an av sender to beam my standard sky signal to an upstairs tv, but as the downstairs tv will shortly be a hd ready model (with sky hd) and the upstairs model is a small non-hd lcd, will I get a picture using the av sender? Hope this makes sense!

The reason I have some doubt is that I have a projector that isn't hd ready but is hd compatible so can handle hd signals. Hence my question.

I'm in a similar position to you...

Just moved into a house already fully RF cabled to run the sky box all over the house. Got sky HD installed at the weekend - and the engineer 1st linked my new Sony 46x up via HDMI - then the additional RF cable was linked on the RF2 output on the Sky box.

Sky is set to output 1080i (which it does beautifully!) and it also send Standard Def image out on RF2. So - all over the house we can still watch Sky - but we only see the HD benefit in the main room...

right your sender will work if you have sky HD installed but it wont send HD the sender wont have the bandwidth to do so. You will get a picture it just wont be an HD one.

That's all I needed to know - cheers. I wasn't sure that any signal would be sent via the av sender. Was working under the 'encryption' assumption.

I'm in same boat having just had HD put in. I would be interested to know what you think of RF picture quality is compared to AV sender. We have got a sender but hard to get signal strength good enough to go up 3 floors to loft conversion. Plus router used by us and neighbours play hell. Thinking of running RF cable up side of house as doubt I could afford cost of running that lenght of HDMI or Component and presumably would have to boost signal over that distance?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom