1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple HD+ Question

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by charker, Feb 19, 2005.

1. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    I have a simple question about setting up a HD+.

I have a 50" Panasonic plasma and a HD+.

I have set the screen size to 1366x768.

When I watch SKY (RGBs connected) the picture now has an 1" black bar down each edge.

Now do I get rid of this by zooming the picture or by changing the HFront, HSync, HBack values?

The reason I ask is that I would have thought that I wanted "1366x768" as the setting and not "user" with hand-set values. I thought I wanted to match the output to my screen res.

Cliff

2. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pottsy

Excellent, that link is just what was needed. Change the "Overscan", damned obvious when you think about it...

Just one thing, in the guide it says change the Contrast and Brightness using the test patterns. Is it best to change these on the HD or the Panel or doesn't it matter.

cheers

Cliff

4. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Set the screen to match the Iscan patterns. So set the screen
    brightness
    contrast
    H&V size and position
    sharpness.

Then never touch the screen controls again. For each iscan input set the iscan brightness and contrast and so on.

The only caveat is that the screen may store a set of settings for each signal type. So you may have to repeat the screen setting process for NTSC/PAL (60Hz, 50Hz and maybe 48Hz if you use it).

EDIT: You can't get this wrong, because if you put up the Iscan brightness and contrast screen, and try setting it using the iscan brightness, nothing will happen!

5. charker

charker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Pottsy

Think I have it now.

I also have the DVE DVD and was playing with that. I assume I set the iScan settings to get the best results from this disk.

One thing seems to be that the iScan Moire patterns in the plasma are perfect but the patterns from the DVD->iScan->plasma are not. I have no way of changing these have I? If I change the plasma screen size it will break the patterns from the iScan.

Cliff

6. Pottsy

Pottsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Yes, when viewing DVD, set the Iscan settings.

I assume you're looking at the resolution tests on DVE. The limitations you see are either the connection method, or more likely the Iscan's poor PAL processing compared to NTSC. Look at NTSC test patterns, and it all looks a bit better.