1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple guide to getting a HCPC to look sensible on a widescreen telly?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by AndyH, Oct 19, 2004.

1. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Hi,

I rebuilt my HCPC with MCE2005 on the weekend and found the latest NVidia drivers for my GeF4 Ti4400 looked great through S-Video.

Previously I was using TVTool to make things nice, although it wasn't perfect. I'll elaborate.

With TVTool running it seemed the desktop stretched to the telly borders enough so that widescreen looked fine and 4:3 was more or less 4:3. It also managed to send a WSS signal so the telly more or less stayed in Widescreen. My problem was black level. It wasn't black :)

Now - with the latest NVidia drivers the colours are perfect, but the image doesn't fill the screen. Auto-strech makes it thin, and widescreen looks like a 2.35:1 DVD (slight exaggeration).

What I find odd is that since rebuilding I can now select 720x576 as a resolution but it doesn't fit any better than 800x600 and the colours are all washed out!

Anyway, its all a bit confusing, and probably I'll just end up re-installing TVTool and permamently tweaking. I'm just wondering if anyone has any golden advice, or has published a noddy guide to such things.

Thanks in advance!
    A.

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Not had any experience with TVTool, maybe Powerstrip can give you the control you need?

3. AndyH

AndyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Yes, I should give that a go really.

However, I went back to TVTool and all is well. Colours look great and the image fits well, although it overscans a little more than I'd like (I lose half the height of the windows taskbar all around the screen). Media Center is designed for that though :)

A.