Simple Freeview Recorder Advice

BigCol

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am after a digital/hard disk box to replace my out-laws' aged video machine.

They have a 28" Samsung (T28E310EX) and currently tend to watch the standard channels 1 to 5 and currently in SD, not HD, via an aerial. They do not have, or want, a satellite dish.

They live in Yorkshire and have direct, uninteruprted line-of-sight to Emily Moor mast.

They record certain favourite programmes regularly to watch on the equivalent of catch-up.

I am after a simple (they're 83 and 85-years old) way to offer them a wider range of channels and the capability to record one whilst watching another. Something like series link and access to the catch-up services would be useful too.

What would you recommend? (I don't have a budget but as above, they're from Yorkshire!)

Humax Youview box.

*any* Human Youview box...?

Is there a particular recommendation or will they all do what I've asked for, i.e. go for the cheapest or most readily-available?

A Humax Youview box.

Does it have to be new ?

Humax Direct |Freesat|Freeview| Youview|Musiac| Smart Home|Humax Eye In the refurbished section any of the ones ending in a T are for terrestrial reception. (Refurbs normally look like brand new.) No refurbs, currently, are their You View versions (BT supply them free to subscribers to pay TV. Talk Talk supply Huawei variants.)
Unless catchup - needing suitable broadband provider and box connected to internet - is a must then You View and the latest Freeview Play models are not essential.

On a 28 inch screen they will be unlikely to see the benefit of HD (depending on how close to the set they sit) ... nor remember the need to punch in 101, 102 etc.,. cf 1, 2, 3 and if you add in the issue of local news on 1 if watching 101... it may become a support nightmare.

To be frank, unless you have and use (or have had and used for a long time) the same box / remote it will be hard to guide them when problems are encountered. The Humax remotes can be multi-function and have a row of buttons on top to select <PVR> <TV> <DVD> & <AUDIO> devices so can 'stop working' rather easily.

Which is probably why others are urging the You View box from Humax/BT as the remote is much less versatile (and therefore simpler)... But they are not always that easy to find and buy new from retailers, I believe.

Something like series link and access to the catch-up services would be useful too.

OP suggests that that they may have internet access. But he would need to confirm this.

They do not have any sort of internet access; so presume the catch-up option is a no-no... it'd a be a receiver/recorder - ie a modern version of their VHS unit.

I will probably plumb this in for them (and as suggested above be the point-of-contact when things don't go right) and could get on the 'net via my phone but there would be no connection of the Humax box and the 'net.

No Internet no catch up.

In that case a Freeview Plus HD PVR box, several brands available plus Bush and Manhattan not shown on the Freeview website, but not a Freeview Play box:

Freeview HD Recorder | Freeview

Last edited:
Thanks...

Have had it confirmed that an internet connection/router would be a level of expense/complexity they’d not want.

An an inexpensive route, am tempted by the £40 YouView box in the classified. Presume that’d work, even if they’d not be able to use its full capabilities sans-‘net.

Post #7

Presume I’d be unable to set the box up here in London and then move it to Yorkshire as we’d be on different transmitters...

but could I set it up at one of their neighbours, who has an internet connection, and the move it to the out-laws?

Should work. I use one of my two Youview boxes without a permanent network connection, but gives out a nagg message on switch on.

Thanks...

Have had it confirmed that an internet connection/router would be a level of expense/complexity they’d not want.

An an inexpensive route, am tempted by the £40 YouView box in the classified. Presume that’d work, even if they’d not be able to use its full capabilities sans-‘net.

That completely eliminates any catch up services. Check out Humax HDR-FOX-T2's on e-bay. it's the best twin tuner Freeview box Humax ever made, it's only shortcomings are very limited catch up. Without an internet connection it's a non issue, and zero set up problems.

A YouView requires both an internet connection and an aerial for full functionality (ie catch up TV). Without both I wouldn't recommend one. A supermarket cheapo (own brand) which doesn't require internet may be your best bet. And they are cheap as well.

OP, there is a user review of the Manhattan T2-R Freeview HD PVR on DS which might be of interest.

A link would be useful.:D

And upset the Mods on here. I think it's easy to find.

Do not suggest a YouView box if they have no internet.

It is tremendous with, but a no-no without.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom