Simple Frames and Borders in PS

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Zone, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,459
    Recently I’ve started noticing a number of people on here using Frames and Borders to show off they’re pictures. :)

Now I wasn’t really a big fan of them personally but I’ve recently come round to the way of thinking that done simply, they can add an awful lot to the finished shot, separating it from whatever background its set and drawing the eye into the shot itself, tidies it up nicely as well :smashin:

So for the benefit of people who are unfamiliar with how to achieve simple but pleasing results using Photoshop and would like to have a go, I thought I’d just jot down how I’ve recently learnt how to do it, I’m sure some folks have other methods so please feel free share if you do.

I’ve used Elements 2.0 in these examples but I take it the procedure is the same for other PS versions.

First off open your image, now at this point I would suggest either creating a new copy layer and working on that or once finished, save the bordered picture under a separate name so you keep the original shot unmodified for future use.

Lets start then :)

1.Open Image Fig1.

2. Then we need to set the background colour for the border (the black and white squares at the bottom of the floating tool palette), default colours are black and white but feel free to choose you’re own, maybe nice to choose a colour that offsets or reflects a dominant colour in the picture! In this example we’ll start with Black so the black square needs to be the one underneath ;)

3. Click Image/Resize/Canvas Size, a pop up window will appear.

Now Elements 2.0 defaults to cm, I generally work in percentages or pixels, have a play and see what works for you, in these examples I’ll be working in pixels so change cm to pixels and enter 5 in both the width and height fields.
    Make sure the relative button is ticked.
    Finally make sure the image is anchored centrally so the finished border will be an equal thickness around the picture, again have a play with anchoring the background in other places and see what effect it has.
    Click Ok! You should now have a nice thin black line outlining the picture as in Fig2.

Now we could leave it at that but in this example we’ll go a little further.

This time I want a thinner white line around the outside of the black so we need to go back to number 2.above :lesson:

This time though we need to set the background colour to white so click the little two way arrow to swap them over, the white square should now be the bottom one.

From3.
    This time we’ll set the pixel size to 2, click ok and you should have a thinner white line around the outside of the black as in Fig3 (this probably wont show up using default windows image applications though) :rolleyes: trust me its there.

I want to go a little further though so we'll start from 2 again, this time swapping the background colour back to black!

From3.
    This time putting in a value of 20 pixels and click ok, this should give you a thicker black border surrounding the very thin white line with the slightly thicker black line outlining the picture as in Fig4.

Thats as far as I'm going to go, we could add drop shadows and faff about all night, I just hope that helps people who want to have a go, try different values/thickness and colours etc and see what works for you. :hiya:

Attached Files:

2. mattym

mattym
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Good tutorial Zone, another way if you dont mind losing a little round the outside is to Select All>stroke and set the size/colour that you want, using the selection tool you can then add pin lines.

Tbh though i use a similar method to yours!

3. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for that lads.

Not a fan of borders myself, but they are handy for when you load a photo on to the forum as there's always a sea of white around them.