Simple DVD recorder query

OneSon

Hi there. I'm looking for a DVD recorder in order to record American football matches from my Sky Box. I have HD so it would be nice to record in 1080p.

I originally thought of getting something with a HDD but I understand these can only record from their own internal freeview. Is this right?

If so, can I anybody recommend a decent DVD recorder that will reliably record 3-4 hour matches from ESPN and Sky Sports. Being able to set a timer would be nice as well.

Thank you.

StevieBuck

The copy protection built in to HDMI prevents you from making recordings from HDMI video sources, hence you won't find any recorders with HDMI inputs.

You can only record from the SD outputs on the Sky box. For the best quality, that would be using SCART.

What you may be thinking of is a PVR. These are devices with a built-in tuner that record directly to an internal hard drive - i.e like your Sky box. You can get DVD recorders with a built-in HDD as well so you can record to DVD or HDD. Regardless, you are still limited to SD recordings only.

Gavtech

Administrator
Note that if your skybox is a type that can record itself, these do not provide an output when recording, so timing onto an external recorder is not an option.

You would have to record onto sky then copy over later.

If your skybox is not a recording type - then no problem.

OneSon

Thanks guys.

StevieBuck, are you saying a PVR could record from Sky? Or just freeview?

Gavtech

Administrator
Thanks guys.

StevieBuck, are you saying a PVR could record from Sky? Or just freeview?
No - A PVR cannot record from any external source.

OneSon

So basically my only option is a DVD recorder which I will be able to use a scart lead to record from the SD channels on the SKY box.

Maybe my best bet is just to get a 2TB sky box from ebay.

wozz

Novice Member
So basically my only option is a DVD recorder which I will be able to use a scart lead to record from the SD channels on the SKY box.

Maybe my best bet is just to get a 2TB sky box from ebay.
not quite, a dvd recorder can record from the HD channels or from the SD channels using a scart lead from the sky box to the dvd recorder, but as its only connected by scart the resulting recording will be RGB and in SD even if the channel is say BBC1 HD on the sky box

if its a sky plus HD box, you record to internal hdd as normal, then play the recording on the sky plus HD box and press record on the dvd recorder to record in RGB SD on the dvd recorder

whatever you do with the sky plus HD box, those recordings stay on the HD box, and the HD recordings can only be exported in SD not in HD, and SD stay SD

to get HD recordings you need a different type of HD box which is off topic for this forum as its not the satellite section - but can be done with a suitable receiver - suggest you check the satellite forum for more details

as for the sky plus HD box, the hdd can be changed which I did with my amstrad 890 and I put a 2TB into it and removed its standard 500 gig - again off topic but google it if you need to know how to do it - even if you did this the parameters and caveats outlined above still apply

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies
Top Bottom