Simple connectivity question.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by azzo, Sep 1, 2007.

1. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I haven't had a DVD recorder for while, so was thinking of maybe getting one, but this puzzles me.
    I have noticed that on the panasonics at least, you cannot enable HDMI as well as RGB out on the SCART. If you do this and have a SKY+ box sandwiched between the DVDR and the TV, will the pass through still work (If you have the scart and HDMI connected at the same time)
    I hope I have put that correctly.
    Would it be a case, that if the DVDR was off, then the SKY+ would work as normal through RGB scart, and as soon as you turned the DVDR on it would automatically come through the HDMI?
    Sorry if this is a stupid question.
    Many thanks
    azzo

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    As far as I am aware, no , RGB pass through will not work under such circumstances [ I think you would get composite only ]

HDMI is an active interface and so requires power to operate and will only function when the machine is on and therefore cannot provide pass through [ thus presumably your question. ] ... but the restriction on the settings [ because you cannot have HDMI AND RGB ] means that if you use HDMI , RGB will not be available.

The only way around it would be to continually change the setting - which is scarcely convenient.

3. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Gavtech I am still not convinced either way, surely if the machine is off, all it would do would pass through all of the signal on the scart (Well I guess that is what I am trying to find out!)
    Anyway, thanks for you help
    azzo

4. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,095
    When the unit is connected by HDMI cable, the operating system disables the RGB input. Neither RGB1 nor RGB2 can be selected.

Those settings apply whether the machine is powered or not... and thus will not permit RGB pass through.

However, the only true test would be if some kindly user who has a machine and is connected via HDMI could confirm that behaviour ... or otherwise.

I seem to recall users wanting to connect this way in the past ... but could not.

5. azzo

azzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I see, It seems that this would be the obvious way to connect a SKY+ box up to a machine as you would not want it do interfere with your normal SKY+ operations, but when you want to archive you would want to record RGB, and when using the DVD-R you would want to use the HDMI.
    Thanks again for your input
    azzo