Simple, classy remote

MonkeySting

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm obviously some kind of heathen.

I'm looking for a simple, classy, stylish remote to replace the three for my plasma, DVD player and amp.

The various Harmony remotes certainly enjoy an excellent reputation, but I find them to be too much of a gadget in their own right. And many of the others I've seen look too much like a PDA. In fact, some of them are getting to the stage where you think the remote might need to come with a remote of its own...

So... has anyone seen a simple, classy remote that could control three devices by IR? Something that looks like it came from a high-end piece of AV equipment?

Cheers,

I recommend the URC-200 from Univeral Remote control Inc. I've had mine for over a year and am 100% satisfied.

MonkeySting said:
I'm obviously some kind of heathen.

I'm looking for a simple, classy, stylish remote to replace the three for my plasma, DVD player and amp.

The various Harmony remotes certainly enjoy an excellent reputation, but I find them to be too much of a gadget in their own right. And many of the others I've seen look too much like a PDA. In fact, some of them are getting to the stage where you think the remote might need to come with a remote of its own...

So... has anyone seen a simple, classy remote that could control three devices by IR? Something that looks like it came from a high-end piece of AV equipment?

Cheers,

How about the new Philips SRU9600?

http://www.press.ce.philips.com/app...80283981D34D0814C125711F0037B75E?opendocument

No specific budget in mind. If it's good, it's worth paying for.

That Philips SRU9600 looks pretty cool, I gotta say. Simple. Clean.

havent used a URC9600 may have a play if i can get one cheap enough the internal set up looks OK CNET have decent peice on it from CES 2006 the point bout the harmony is you never need to select a device mode (when configured properly) its all done from activity mode and hard buttons (touch screens are not as useful as they first appear

Well, I've given up on the Philips SRU9600, after too much hassle trying to find a stockist.

Any other ideas anyone?

No don't need anything except the Pronto, it works directly with B&O (built in database) or learns all the B&O codes.

Yup,

And what is also good about the Pronto is that it works direct with x10 in the uk too, no need for IR/RF converters

Yup,

It takes a little time and patience because you need to learn the possible use of each button, but there are loads of guys out there working with prontos.

Have you seen www.remotecentral.com ?

That's where I started. I began with the mono Pronto and last month got the latest colour one. Fantastic.

I sold my original mono Pronto (Marantz RC5200) last month.

I have learnt the codes from a Beolink 1000, 5000 and BEO4

Stoobie, that's the kind of thing I'm after! Excellent! Thank-you. Off to investigate now...

One of the other threads on this site says Selfriges on Oxford st do the philips remote. £80. Or buy from france for 80 euros. It does look good - great even - but I'm not convinced of the efficacy of remotes with touchscreens instead of hard buttons.

I don't understand your aversion to the Harmony - I think the range looks quite good. It's extremely good at what it does. I like mine. Well, I'll admit that the initial set up was troublesome, and I find the odd niggle here and there, but it's nothing that you can't live without. I have the 655, one of the cheaper ones.

I find functionality more important than looks, though. I used to have a pronto, and it was next to useless as far as I was concerned, because of the lack of hard buttons.

Indeed. And as you'll see from the other thread, I tried to order from the French site, but they insisted they required copies of personal identification which I am not happy to provide to a company I know nothing about. Oxford Street is not an option.

I find the Harmony cluttered and ugly, simple as that. I don't expect anyone else to agree with my opinion, but then I don't expect anyone else to pay for the items that I choose.

I have very simple requirements in terms of functionality. I don't need or want the superior degree of flexibility offered by the Harmony, and would prefer instead to use something with a clean and fuss-free design.

Remotes are a very subjective, almost emotive accessory, much like keyboards on a PC. I found a UK supplier offering the ARC7 for £120 so I'm going to give that a whirl. My thanks to those who helped out.

ah, sorry, I wasn't keeping track of usernames there.

The ARC thing does look fuss-free and simple - hope it works out for you.

Cluttered and ugly!??!?! TAKE THAT BACK... sniff..

MonkeySting said:
Indeed. And as you'll see from the other thread, I tried to order from the French site, but they insisted they required copies of personal identification which I am not happy to provide to a company I know nothing about. Oxford Street is not an option.

I find the Harmony cluttered and ugly, simple as that. I don't expect anyone else to agree with my opinion, but then I don't expect anyone else to pay for the items that I choose.

I have very simple requirements in terms of functionality. I don't need or want the superior degree of flexibility offered by the Harmony, and would prefer instead to use something with a clean and fuss-free design.

Remotes are a very subjective, almost emotive accessory, much like keyboards on a PC. I found a UK supplier offering the ARC7 for £120 so I'm going to give that a whirl. My thanks to those who helped out.

Look forward to reading your thoughts on the ARC7 when you had it for a while.

Same here - will be interested to know how you find the ARC7.

I thought I'd provide a quick update now I've been using the ARC7 for a few days.

The quality of the unit is excellent. It's made from a single piece of aluminium, and consequently feels very solid. The buttons have a very positive action, and overall it feels likely to be around for quite some years. The buttons aren't backlit, however.

Programming the unit was simple enough, if fiddly, no doubt as it is with all programmable remotes. You can program the unit either directly, by pointing your source remote at the ARC7 and telling it which button to store the code under, or you can use the included software which communicates with the remote via USB.

The software is a bit clunky, but gets the job done. Pre-made code files are included for several manufacturers, although I chose to make my own.

I programmed each of the device keys (TV, DVD, amp, etc) with the appropriate codes for my equipment, and then programmed the keys in the AUX1 setting to be a 'hybrid' of those I use most frequently, i.e. pressing the power on button turns on my TV, DVD and amp simultaneously; the volume keys are programmed with codes for my amp; the play/stop/etc and cursor keys are programmed with codes for my DVD.

Overall, I'm quite happy with it.

I'm sure something in the Harmony range would offer more functionality, but the only improvements I could suggest for the ARC7 would be to add backlighting for the keys and improve the PC software.

MonkeySting said:
The buttons aren't backlit, however.
The blurb says : 42 blue backlit button remote with support for up to 7 devices.

Maybe you have missed something! Otherwise I'm glad it sounds as good as it looks!

Stoobie

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom