Simple cheap network?

SimonInd

Standard Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of PCs, one's my HTPC, and I'd like to set up a simple wireless network so that the HTPC can use the other machine's internet connection and the other PC can watch TV ( I have a DigiTV card ) or recordings from the HTPC's hard drive.

Any advice on the simplest/cheapest way I can acheive this would be appreciated?

Thanks

Simon

The simplest way has to be a pair of USB wireless network adapters.

I've just recemtly invested in some wireless stuff myself. Perviously I had my main machine with 2 network cards. One card was for the cable modem, and the other for the LAN.

The LAN cables all went into a switch, and the main machine had to be on for any other machine to use the Internet.

I've now bought a Linksys 54g router. The cable modem is now plugged into that, and the LAN cables are plugged into its built in 10/100 switch.

I bought a Linksys 54g wireless PCI card for another machine, and that works like a dream.

Eventually I'll replace all my network cards with 54g wireless, but I'll do it over time.

It was dead easy to setup, and the router includes a web front end for configuration.

The router and card were bought from Dabs, and it was about £65 for the router and £35 for the card.

Yup, that should work a treat. You don't *need* a router, but I was starting to get a little annoyed at having to have one PC up and running in order for any of the others to be able to access the net.

If you don't get the router, then your network will effectively be just as it is now, just with a couple of less wires in it :)

Sorry, I don't have a network right now - I'm a bit new to all this. Am I right in thinking that plugging in these Wireless USB network adapters will enable the machines to 'see' each other? share files, stream video etc. They're both running XP Home - I'm guessing it has some built in networking support?

Cheers

Simon

Ah right. Yes, you should be able to plug em in and install the software (or maybe the other way round, depending on the instructions) and then bobs your uncle.

Streaming video is a bit more tricky, and the OS itself doesn't have any facility for doing this.

If your TV software allows you to do it, you'll be fine. Otherwise all you'll be able to do is record a program to hard disk on the PC with the TV card, and then watch it on the other PC (providing the software records in a standard format such as AVI, DivX and so-on).

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom