Simple camera with SD or free cloud 24/7 recordings.

MrMav11

Anyone recommend a simple wired camera, that can record 24/7 (rather than motion only) to a local SD or free cloud.

I’ve read about problems of indoor camera behind glass during night as glares off IR, so maybe need a outdoor one, with simple plug maybe that can be passed through a window for easy installation.

Seen a TP-Link Tapo C310 outdoor one, but the cable seems to have an ethernet and power, why is this? I thought it was an SD slot and records local. Do you still need an Ethernet connection? Can you not look at the recordings via WiFi on the app?

Or any other recommended please, that have 24/7 recording, SD storage (or free cloud) plug in.

Thanks

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
The tapo is wired and wireless just has both options as wired if possible is always the better option

MrMav11

The tapo is wired and wireless just has both options as wired if possible is always the better option
Why though? Does it need to be connected continuously, or only to look at recordings, setup, download recordings etc? Does it need a permanent internet connection?

Looking at the cables on YT it seems that both cables have to be ran inside though. I’d only need/want the power otherwise makes the cables much thicker.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
What do you want to record, as in just keep an eye on things or closely monitor & possibly ID individuals? And at what distance?, particularly relevant at night.

If you only want one cable then it will need to be either WiFi or POE (power over ethernet) with a flat ethernet cable. POE will require an injector to provide power & data on the same ethernet cable & will add around £20 on top of the price of the camera.

MrMav11

To just watch a blind spot basically. I don’t understand still though if that Tapo C310 has to be connected all the time, and if so why if it has an SD local recording?

I know I will need WiFi to connect to the camera to get recordings, that’s fine. I’m just thinking of the placement it may not get the best WiFi, but as it’s recording local it will get good quality. So why does it have both power and Ethernet, why can’t you just use the power cable, or can you?

Thanks

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Why though? Does it need to be connected continuously, or only to look at recordings, setup, download recordings etc? Does it need a permanent internet connection?
I have a bunch of the cheaper and lower quality C100 cams, so assuming they work to a similar system.

Once set up, they will continue to record to SD if they become disconnected. But you will not get notifications and of course cannot access the cam or recordings until you reconnect. Not sure why you wouldn't want them to be permanently connected.

My cams record to their SD without subscription. The subscription gives some options like enhanced notifications, AI detection, maybe more, can't remember.

Yes, through glass is a problem for IR. But you can keep it in daylight mode of you have outside lighting.

MrMav11

If prefer to be permanently connected I’m just thinking I’m case WiFi drops, eg like the Ring camera then they stop recording. If they still record to the SD that’s fine, that’s what I want.

I just don’t understand why TP-Link have the cable joined so you have to have the Ethernet, I would bet the majority would use WiFi anyway so why not have it as an option?

Do they record 24/7? I’d probably switch off notifications as it’s just to record in case I see something happen as in damage.

So your C100 are the indoor, these would be even better, and easier for me to install actually but not sure as you say on IR as I want for external so would look out from the glass.

Thanks

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
why can’t you just use the power cable, or can you?
Yes, you can. You will need to connect it to your network to configure it but as @hyperfish says, once that's done it doesn't need a connection to continuously record to SD.

The ethernet port on the camera is simply there to give you the option of wired or wireless.

As he also said, you can't use the camera's IR night vision indoors as it will simply bounce straight off the glass & back into the camera. That will be even worse with double-glazing. So you would need an external lighting source, which could be a simple dusk-dawn light with an LED bulb that stays on all night, or one with a PIR built in to only come on when it senses motion.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I turned off IR mode and just rely on the outside wall/street lights.

They record continuous. Once the card is full, they overwrite the older stuff. I get about 2 weeks of footage on 128GB SD, but bear in mind higher resolution cams will be less.

I did a Blue Peter job with electrical tape to seal two of mine for outdoor mounting. They've been fine under the eaves for almost a year.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Daylight Vs IR mode examples, same cam through glass:

Daylight
Polish_20211006_202237614.jpg

IR
Polish_20211006_202312576.jpg

MrMav11

I turned off IR mode and just rely on the outside wall/street lights.
Do you can manually in the app? That’s good as there is a lamppost outside which provides light.
I did a Blue Peter job with electrical tape to seal two of mine for outdoor mounting. They've been fine under the eaves for almost a year.
So they can be used outside? What did you seal just the SD slot? Good option if so!

Thanks for pics, appreciate that, so is unusable with IR in behind glass. Do you have an example please with IR off at night?

Thanks

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
See the lighting toggle between the LQ and the gear wheel icons in the pics above. That is where you switch between modes. IR is always monochrome and the red IR light always projects from the cam.

I went to town on it with the tape to seal and colour. Everywhere!

20210123_123025.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom