1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

simple but no doubt stupid question!!

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bellyfluffer, Aug 19, 2005.

1. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what will give the best pic quality on stan def and more importantly hi def....

£1000 projector i.e. z3 etc

£2500 plasma i.e. 435xde

or £1500 lcd i.e. sharp etc

assuming all of them set up correctly?

:confused:

i need to spend money!!!

2. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    all depends on if you want that huge screen experience as well tho.

I had the same decision to make, and went for a Panny 700 last xmas, projected onto a screen, why , because I wanted the sitting in the odeon sort of feeling.

Al

3. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    at last a reply!!!!

cheers mate, have asked this or a similar ques (plasma v pj?) several times over last few days and on different forums but everyone seems reluctant to give an opinion!? curious when at the drop of a hat the plasma and lcd boys complain about the others faults, but throw the pj in there and silence even from the pj group!

4. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    It is a simple, but equally stupid question, esp. since the budget is different for each technology. Bit like saying Ducatti 996 for £10K, BMW M3 for £25K, or Lotus Elise for £15K. Each one is totally different and depends on intended use.
    Same for your question - a PJ will need certain criteria met before it can be suggested as a potential option.
    Same too for the Pioneer and Sharp.
    If you can throw £2.5K at a Pioneer Plasma, then do it. Excellent images from what I've seen using Euro 1080 as it's input source material.
    That said, the same £2.5K buys you a Loewe 37" LCD or a Sony 42" V (coming soon) which would stand up well against the Pioneer on the same material.
    Both those technologies don't require a blacked out room to work, unlike the PJ, plus neither have the on-going cost of replacing bulbs every 3000 hours or so.
    For £1K on a PJ - forget it, period! £2K+ and you're starting to get somewhere, plus an appropriate screen as well - not a white wall!
    I consider the Pioneer to be the current cream of the crop for direct view TVs, but that's based on seeing it do HD mainly. Once I saw it doing TV duties in another store, and I told them it was crap and for their most expensive TV to be seen like it was, they weren't going to sell many.
    Recently, they've made improvements, and rightly so for such a well respect make and model.
    Equally, Sharp TVs have been all over the place on quality, wherever you go. But those that had taken the time to feed it properly and tweak it, the results were very good, but that was with SD only. Still to see one with HD feeding it.
    JVC's LCD from last year, was excellent with SD in another store again, so I presume the latest version DS6 which has been getting a lot of good press, apparently, would be one worth considering too.

At the end of the day, you've got to decide a budget and go see these things for yourself - we can advise 'til the cows come home, but it's you who'll have to be happy with what you buy. So to that end, don't be afraid to use what God give you and trust them.

Lastly, bear in mind that a Plasma consumes 2-3 times more electricity compared to an LCD - 350W -160W typically. PJs are noisier due to their smaller size requiring fans to keep it cool, and because it sits above you or just in front, the noise is more noticeable than that of a Plasma since it's further away, and sound drops off logarithmically for every metre distance.

5. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Or a £1500 46" DLP RPTV such as the Samsung SP46L6HX. Stunning performance on HiDef with a 1280x720 native resolution.

6. bellyfluffer

bellyfluffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what a friendly chappie you are!

actually one could say the same for your answer, if i was using your example then i could compare a specific i.e. mpg, 0-60mph, etc etc and that is exactly what i did
    "pic quality" is what i was wanting to compare!
    the reason for the different prices is that i was considering buying a 32 lcd(tv) and pj(dvd) for the same price as the pio and was hoping for some friendly advice

7. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    And i gave you some friendly advice - you created the lure to reply (in jest I may add) in a manner befitting your thread's title.
    Sorry you didn't see it that way, I suppose I should've used emoticons to denote the facetiousness of my tone.
    My point, which I hope came through, was that there was an element of head-scratching regards the numbers used for each technology - why not commit to the one sum, and then ask what your money buys you across the board.
    I think I pointed that out with reference to the PJ needing blackout and continual costs before glibbly opting for that particular solution. Same for Plasma and LCD ref running costs, which I ommitted on the PJ - they're the same as Plasma, if not higher.

8. xxalxx

xxalxx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As I said before, its all down to what you want your system for mate.

Personaly if I want to wach a film, then screen down, curtains closed, proj on. A LCD / Plasma would be just like watching a widescreen portable to me, BUT thats just cos I like the big screen experience.

:smashin:

Al

9. jriihi

jriihi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Solution:
    - projector: Z3 with filters and good screen (around 100") for movies
    - LCD/Plasma 32"-42" for TV

Its really that simple :) I does cost but..