Simple Bluetooth Receiver (presumably)

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
So, I have a small office set up. Nothing too fancy, just an old Denon UD-M31 and a pair of Monitir Audio Bronze B1s.

Music is from Amazon Music HD on my iPhone.

But my phone is on one side of the room, and the Denon in the other. How do I get the music from iPhone to Denon?

By the way, I also have a little FiiO USB DAC, which I’d like to utilise, so any solution which utilises that is beneficial.

I’m guessing I’m looking for a cheap Bluetooth receiver with a USB out, but I’m open to other ideas.

I'd doubt you'd get a bluetooth with a usb out. They usually have analogue out and a few have a digital optical and fewer still have a coax optical out. You don't really need to add the fiio into the mix.

If your denon has a digital optical in I'd just get a bluetooth receiver that has an optical out and let the denon sort the sound.

An Airplay device would probably be best with iOS, because AFAIK Apple still don't support APT-X.

Thanks for that. Great info.

if you have any ideas as to any models, please let me know.
I'm not an Apple person so have limited knowledge. Depending on budget a Yamaha WXAD-10 may fit the bill & provide other options as well. But a fair bit more than a BT receiver. If it's only background music while you work BT may be good enough.

Cheapest USB audio out AirPlay streamer solution for the FiiO would be DIY using a Raspberry Pi, ~£50. For a simple setup, enable the Shairport Sync 'open source' AirPlay that comes with the free DietPi distro.

Be aware that AirPlay audio streaming only supports CD-res at 16-bit/44.1kHz ('HD' in Amazon speak), so all of Amazon Music HD's hi-res tracks ('UHD' in Amazon speak) will be downsampled to CD-res.

Last edited:
Only cd res 😜,oh how I laughed 👍

Thanks for those who’ve responded with constructive and honest replies, answering the question being asked.

It strikes me that there’s a hole in the market here. Something like the ifi Zen DAC is a Bluetooth receiver, great DAC, and decent headphone amp, all for £130 or so. Take away the DAC and amp, and it suggests the Bluetooth receiver bit only costs £20 or so, give or take.

Stuff like this abounds, and would be perfect if it had a USB or Coaxial out:

PROZOR 192kHz Digital to Analog Audio Converter with Bluetooth 5.0 Receiver DAC Converter Digital Coaxial Toslink to Analog Stereo L/R RCA 3.5mm Audio Adapter Toslink Optical to 3.5mm Amazon product ASIN B07W5Y64KB

Last edited:
I'd echo the above comments of using AirPlay over Bluetooth if you're using Apple devices.

Usability/ease of use, better integration with Apple devices, better range/stability and better audio quality. The main reason to use Bluetooth is in situations where you don't have a wi-fi network to hand.

A used Apple AirPlay supporting Airport Express can be had for £10. Hook it up with a 3.5mm TosLink to S/PDIF cable if you have a digital S/PIDF input and want a digital connection or just use a standard analog 3.5mm jack to RCA cable if you're OK with an analog connection and you're good to go.

Failing that, if you want a low-cost AirPlay and Bluetooth supporting device with a USB output (suitable for use with an external DAC) I'd second Cebolla's suggestion of using a RaspberryPi.

Although I might suggest installing Ropieee XL on it to start, just because it's slightly simpler to setup than DietPi for a first time user and now includes Bluetooth support as well as AirPlay (as of v3.066) — although not much in it. No technical skill needed other than the ability to follow some simple instructions. You don't even need to plug it in a monitor/keyboard, just burn the image to a Micro SD card, pop the card into the RPi and you're done. If you want a nicer case the Flirc one fits the bill.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom