• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Simple Bluetooth audio receiver that powers on/off with ignition?

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
I currently have Bluetooth in my car, which does calls and music. Unfortunately the sound quality with music is absolutely appalling (and only works through the front speakers), so I have to resort to using the cars AUX socket for music.

So what I want is something like the ultra simple Bluetooth receiver devices you can get for less than £20 that plug into the AUX socket for music only (like this). Calls through my existing system are great and I don't want to replace that.

Ideally I would like to have a BT receiver permanently plugged in and connected to the 12v system... The problem is I can't find out if any will power up/off with the ignition (the 12v socket does), so that I don't have to keep turning it on/off myself all the time (this would also allow me to hide it away in the dash for a clear and stealthy installation).

Any ideas?

MooCow

Just piggy back it off a switched feed from the fuse box.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Just piggy back it off a switched feed from the fuse box.

Thanks, that's a great solution - but for a different problem :)

Issue is that when the car ignition is turned off the BT unit stays on (they generally have their own battery) so you have to manually turn them on/off all the time. This is because they are designed for multiple applications not just cars.

I think I have found one that does, coming Friday...

Last edited:

MooCow

Ah I see, I assumed it was just 12v powered.
My wifi hotspot did the same, which I have in the car for streaming music...I took the battery out of it which did the job of making it only on when powered.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Well it works, although it doesn't auto reconnect every time, probably something to do with my phone connecting to my existing Bluetooth. But very quick to do so manually. But for the money the sound quality is outstanding and I can't hear a difference between this and a CD in the CDplayer.

I happy enough for the money, and I can't find anything else that does what I want. I have hard wired it and hidden it in the dash now.

A cautious recommendation.

figrin_dan

Is it an iPhone? I find Android phones happily jump BT to BT but iPhones need a bit of fiddling.

Autopilot

Distinguished Member
Yeah, iPhone. But it automatically connects to my car BT system 100% of the time, maybe 25% of the time it connects to the new device. So the device must be playing a part.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom