Simple basic website creator app?

Fat_Tony

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks

Im looking for any suggestions or recommendations for a simple website creator app.

Ive found several in the playstore but hoping someone can recommend anything?

Its basically for a holiday home we plan to market ourselves, just a simple home page with a few pictures. Maybe incorporating a google map, probably a link to our tripadvisor booking, an embedded youtube video etc

One I found was called weebly but I would be left with an address ending weebley.com which isnt ideal.

I dont know a great deal about this sort of thing, but understand I would need to register a domain name and pay for hosting.

If anyone has any suggestions or even a similar basic site id love to take a look

Thanks

WordPress is pretty straight forward, has loads of themes and plugins, so is very flexible. You would need to host it somewhere, but virtually every hosting provider supports WP.

Have a look at my company website which I knocked up in WordPress. Basic but we wanted a clean and simple site. www.jilrose.com

Or you could use one of the many Web hosters like weebly, such as Wix or GoDaddy. Make sure you can use your own domain, some packages include a .com or .co.uk one for free.

Thanks Adam thats exactly the sort of thing I was after, thats a nice tidy looking site. Ill post back once ive knocked something up

If you opt to go down the WordPress route, check out somebody like 1&1, they do an introductory deal for £1.99 per month for the first year, which includes WP hosting and a domain name. It does jump up to £9.99 per month the year after though.

And whatever you do, make sure the website is optimised for all devices, so mobiles and tablets as well as regular PCs. It's called a "Responsive Theme".

How much traffic are you expecting Tony? £9.99 seems quite a lot per month if it's only a few people accessing it.

How much traffic are you expecting Tony? £9.99 seems quite a lot per month if it's only a few people accessing it.
That's in the second year though, but yes it's a lot for a basic site with minimal traffic. Does include email, SSL certificate, domain, and SEO though.

Could take the introductory year then move to a cheaper alternative. TBH, most I've looked at start around £5 per month, and don't always include the domain, SSL cert or email.

I'm really not expecting huge amounts of traffic. Ill be setting up a Facebook page and just want to be able to link to a few pages with more detailed information. It won't be a site people stumble across, more something I point them towards.

I'm struggling a bit with WordPress on my tablet, think I need to get my laptop out to make progress.

It's an odd situation, we don't want to be too busy with letting the place as we plan to use it ourselves quite a bit. We just want to test the water initially and see how much interest there is.

There are two ways of using WordPress... you can pick a theme and add plugins manually, or you can use a wizard provided by the chosen hoster. The latter is aimed at people that want to get a simple site up and running quickly, and don't want to think about what plugins to use etc. A little less flexible than doing it manually, but a lot easier I suspect.

I use Weebly for 2 websites (neither with much traffic).

In each case I have "proper: domain names, a .co.uk and a .org and point them at the Weebly address. Works a treat.

Thanks for all the replies chaps, it's very helpful

We use WordPress, quite customised.

Mrs IG recommends FreeVirtualServers.com, works with weebly and it's errh Free :thumbsup: There may be a one off setup charge but unless you need instant support it's errh free. You will need to pay for your domain but that can as little as a few quid a year.

I'll send you the address of one of hers to look at.

Really appreciate all the help, all these tips will have me more than sufficiently sorted

Try wix.com, lots of templates and free, or pay to upgrade and have your own web address.

Thanks I've been dipping in and out of a few this evening, weebly seems to be working well so far. It's a slow process but starting to come together.

Here's my initial efforts, it's nowhere near complete as I had a very limited selection of pics on my phone and haven't given too much thought to the text. None of the links really work yet but with a bit of effort it will serve its purpose.

The booking link will take them straight through to TripAdvisor to give it professional.

www.bundoranbeach.weebly.com

Nice - I've seen lots worse...

It's quick to load, tells you what you need - on my MacBook, there's a big white area between the last photo and the Weekly banner at the bottom. Looks like something is missing, maybe?

Oh - and the apartment and location look stunning... :)

Edit - had a quick look on 123-reg.co.uk and there's plenty of "www.bundoranbeach.x" domains for sale. So if you bought one of those, you can point it at the weekly url (or any other provider you use).

Thanks for the comments, it's literally a "my first website" made purely on my phone. I've not even opened it on a computer yet.

It's just a bit of fun at this stage really, quite enjoyed learning something new. Once I've put in the proper time I'll look to upgrade and remove and banners, plus get a proper web address.

It will mainly be used to link away from Facebook etc once we start marketing it

I hope you don't mind me pointing out a few grammar issues.

The word minutes needs an apostrophe between the e and s.
The phrases 'highstreet' and 'groundgloor' need spaces between the two words.

I also agree with a previous post that it would be a good idea to purchase your own domain name - it just makes it look a bit more professional.

I hope you don't mind me pointing out a few grammar issues.

The word minutes needs an apostrophe between the e and s.
The phrases 'highstreet' and 'groundgloor' need spaces between the two words.

I also agree with a previous post that it would be a good idea to purchase your own domain name - it just makes it look a bit more professional.
*ground floor lol

No problem thanks, I think alot of the text will be changed and more thought out for the final version.

Once I've got closer to the completed site ill submit it for its grammar checks as I'm fairly hopeless at all that.

100% agree on the domain name, it would drive me mad otherwise.

Nice - I've seen lots worse...

It's quick to load, tells you what you need - on my MacBook, there's a big white area between the last photo and the Weekly banner at the bottom. Looks like something is missing, maybe?

Im trying to address this issue, on the edit page once I get to beneath the map there is just a large white space as you pointed out, I cant see how to delete it or remove it. Ill try adding another pic perhaps but I suspect it might just push the white space further down.

Have you tried it on a PC yet? I've never used the phone-app, so it may be something to do with that - it's like it's introduced a "spacer" under the last map pic.

I added another picture to cover the white space - lol I'm no web designer quite yet.

Ive made a few changes and added further information. I still need a wider selection of pictures and too spellcheck the whole thing. Im currently setting up my trip advisor page so I can then make links start to work aswell.

So here is the latest version, I've just gone live on tripadvisor so the booking links should now work. Im on the holiday lettings section of tripadvisor but don't seem to come up via the main site so ill have to find out why tomorrow, possibly I have to pay for that?

Im well aware there is quite a few duplicate pics on the site, I'm not back in Bundoran until the weekend so need to snap a few more when I can. Ive not spell checked or grammar checked yet, ill go over it all with a fine tooth comb once I've got the general layout and info sorted.

Im really pleased with what can be done without spending any money, I didn't have too high hopes or expected to be bombarded with ads or banners using a free site. Clearly it wont win any prizes but should be more than sufficient to link away from Facebook etc

coral cove bundoran

My wife has named the place Coral Cove which probably works better than my effort of "Bundoran holiday home" hopefully it will distinguish to from the others in the building. We've viewed quite a few and have put so much effort into making it nicer than any of the others we've seen. That may backfire if we get a few rowdy renters but its all trial and error at this point.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom