• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Simple AV Receiver

VeryUniqueName

Standard Member
Hi Guys,
Firstly, I apologise for this being my first post and I'm asking such a request.. but I've been out of the loop for along time now, and well; as you all know, things move along constantly..

Basically, I've got a really basic 5.1 setup right now consisting of:

Mordaunt Short 302's front and rear with a 304 center, and a 309 SUB

(see http://www.mordauntshort.com/ranges.php?RAID=1&Title=Premiere)

My current receiver is a Marantz SR4400

(see http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ArchProduct&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=2485)

Yea yea, laugh it all out!

A few months ago the receivers volume knob started to go wrong, I have to turn it really slowly for it to register, and it usually jumps the volume in whatever direction is feels like for each 'tick'.

I know it's not a big problem, just something small to replace.. but really I've managed to live with it..

Recently I was looking for a new amp, something with HDMI support so maybe I could actually use the video connectivity and pass through to my screen (currently I split all the audio inputs to the amp and the video inputs towards the monitor which supports various inputs)..

I have a 360, Wii, PC (with 3 sets of phono outputs and an optical to cover my bases) and I'll likely buy a PS3 sometime this year.. and it would be nice to get them all connected up and happy..

I know this is really cheeky but, is it worth me looking for a new amp, or are my speakers really poor and the amp would be a waste?

And most importantly, if I should go for an amp, what would be a good sub £1000 amp that could do what I specified above?

Cheers guys,
Great forum btw, I've been reading it for awhile and decided I'd dive in with this question!

jon1

Established Member
Hi Guys,
Firstly, I apologise for this being my first post and I'm asking such a request.. but I've been out of the loop for along time now, and well; as you all know, things move along constantly..

Basically, I've got a really basic 5.1 setup right now consisting of:

Mordaunt Short 302's front and rear with a 304 center, and a 309 SUB

(see http://www.mordauntshort.com/ranges.php?RAID=1&Title=Premiere)

My current receiver is a Marantz SR4400

(see http://www.marantz.com/new/index.cfm?fuseaction=Products.ArchProduct&cont=eu&bus=hf&prod_id=2485)

Yea yea, laugh it all out!

A few months ago the receivers volume knob started to go wrong, I have to turn it really slowly for it to register, and it usually jumps the volume in whatever direction is feels like for each 'tick'.

I know it's not a big problem, just something small to replace.. but really I've managed to live with it..

Recently I was looking for a new amp, something with HDMI support so maybe I could actually use the video connectivity and pass through to my screen (currently I split all the audio inputs to the amp and the video inputs towards the monitor which supports various inputs)..

I have a 360, Wii, PC (with 3 sets of phono outputs and an optical to cover my bases) and I'll likely buy a PS3 sometime this year.. and it would be nice to get them all connected up and happy..

I know this is really cheeky but, is it worth me looking for a new amp, or are my speakers really poor and the amp would be a waste?

And most importantly, if I should go for an amp, what would be a good sub £1000 amp that could do what I specified above?

Cheers guys,
Great forum BTW, I've been reading it for awhile and decided I'd dive in with this question!

With the speakers you have the onkyo 605 would be a better choice...if you get a amp for say £800 you will have to change all the speakers excerpt the sub

Jon

MitsiTurbo

Established Member
I would definetely agree with Jon on this one. Get yourself a 605 and with money that you have left over, upgrade your front 302's to 902i's (or the floorstanders) and a 903 centre. Thats the setup I have and I think it sounds great with a 605! :thumbsup:

jon1

Established Member
I would definetely agree with Jon on this one. Get yourself a 605 and with money that you have left over, upgrade your front 302's to 902i's (or the floorstanders) and a 903 centre. Thats the setup I have and I think it sounds great with a 605! :thumbsup:

A bit of topic but did you sort out your ohms:D

jon

VeryUniqueName

Standard Member
Sweet, that looks great..

One thing I use right now is 3 pairs of phono to 3.5mm jacks for my PC, this lets me do a direct 5.1 input from the soundcard as analog..

Is it possible to do this with amp or would I need to switch to a DDL encoding amp and deal with a seemingly useless analog to digital, digital to analog conversion..

Perhaps it doesn't matter that much..

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom