Simple Audio Roomplayer Owner's Thread

AngelEyes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should receive my Roomplayer II from Quantum Electronics this week so thought a new thread about actual user experience would be useful, as the other thread is quite long already and doesn't contain a great deal of useful information.

Simple Audio Roomplayer Discussion | AVForums.com - UK Online

Info about the Simple Audio products can be found here: Simple Audio - Multi Room Music Systems

I spoke to SA support before purchase and it seems a few of the things I was hoping for are being tested right now so I have my fingers crossed they will be added soon (I am acutely aware this is not a sensible purchasing practice but I have had it with my SB Duets!).

• 24bit 192Khz Support
  • Twonky Support for NAS/Server

Also worth noting is that all bit and sample-rates will be handles natively, no up or down-sampling which I believe is not true of Squeezebox touch?

Once it arrives I will post the usual pictures and follow up with a review once I have lived with it for a while. I will try and answer any questions people might have, so if there is something you would like to know, just ask and I will respond when I can. I currently run 2 x SB Duets via iPeng so should be able to provide some insight on usibility/reliability etc.

Cheers,

Adam :)

Hi Adam, if the SA is a success and multiroom streaming is sorted, do you plan to adopt it in other rooms, or are you just having it in your main room?

Also, will you use a separate DAC and if so, which one?

Hi Adam, if the SA is a success and multiroom streaming is sorted, do you plan to adopt it in other rooms, or are you just having it in your main room?

Also, will you use a separate DAC and if so, which one?

I am trying it out in my main room but the long term goal is to have 2 or three rooms hooked up, probably with Roomplayer I's, but for now testing will be purely 'single room'.

I won't be purchasing a separate DAC as my processor is pretty high end already.

I won't be purchasing a separate DAC as my processor is pretty high end already.

I see, so you're going Digital out of the RPII into the Digital In of your AVF as its a good one.

That is right although I will check the analogue out anyway just to see how it compares.

Adam

I'd be very interested to hear about the user interface as that's one of the areas where I think my Sonos system is showing its age.

One particular problem for me is that I can't sort a playlist in alphabetical or any order so that I can check if a track is already on there or not easily. Another problem is that you can only add one track at a time to a playlist.

I'd be very interested to hear about the user interface as that's one of the areas where I think my Sonos system is showing its age.

One particular problem for me is that I can't sort a playlist in alphabetical or any order so that I can check if a track is already on there or not easily. Another problem is that you can only add one track at a time to a playlist.

I am expecting a fairly basic functionality to begin with, it needs to be very robust after all but am hoping it does enough to keep me happy. Speed and intuitive controls are the most important for me.

I have never been what might be described as a 'Power User' with Squeezebox/iPeng, despite the huge functionality available. Creating and editing playlists is about the limit of my interest really but I will do my best to find the limits of the Roomplayer UI, so any other requests are welcome.

Finally, dealers received stock this morning:clap:

Last edited by a moderator:
For some reason I thought that the SA players supported 24/192 but I heard indirectly today from a dealer that this is not correct they only support 24/96.

Can anyone confirm? I looked on the SA site and I could only find a comment saying "24 bit HD"

Maybe this is another upgrade that they plan to deliver via software upgrade.

For some reason I thought that the SA players supported 24/192 but I heard indirectly today from a dealer that this is not correct they only support 24/96.

Can anyone confirm? I looked on the SA site and I could only find a comment saying "24 bit HD"

Maybe this is another upgrade that they plan to deliver via software upgrade.

24/192 is coming in a software upgrade.

Is there any sign of a bespoke controller rather than having to use an ipad/iphone etc?

Is there any sign of a bespoke controller rather than having to use an ipad/iphone etc?

I don't have any confirmed dates but a controller is on its way soon.

Android App is in testing at the moment so shouldn't be too far away.

...i had a chance to listen to simple audio and i think it sounds good for its price. it sounded better than sonos or squeezebox in my opinion.(analog out)
but combination of Sonos or SB + external DAC (like CA dacmagic) would significantly outperforme simple audio.
best.

...i had a chance to listen to simple audio and i think it sounds good for its price. it sounded better than sonos or squeezebox in my opinion.(analog out)

Thast good to hear.

but combination of Sonos or SB + external DAC (like CA dacmagic) would significantly outperforme simple audio.
best.

Not sure how you could know that but its not a fair comparrison is it? it would not even be cheaper.

However even if it correct Sonos can't handle 24/96 and neither SB or Sonos can handle the planned 24/192 that SA is designed for.

i know that becouse i did comparison and that is my opinion.
squeezebox =200 +Dacmagic =250 that gives around 450, so yes its cheaper or almost the same price, but dont get me wrong, simple audio its a fine product , just arrange a demo to find it out, best.

Last edited:
Currently running the RPII and it is definately better sounding than the Sonos. Took about 30 minutes to add 10000+ songs to its directory and now works very well and is pretty quick when loading.

Is that a digital out or analogue comparison your doing custom cable?

Any thoughts about the user interface yet?

UI is good on the PC. Functionality in regards to the iPhone/iPad app I am struggling to specify playing a certain track on an album. When selecting an album it plays from the start of the album and no way to select a track. This may be that I havn't found how to do it yet. I am using the L/R connections into MF M6 series amplification and KEF 201/2's.

Hmmm bit annoyed to find out after I ordered it doesn't have digital out enabled.

Should be able to take a look tomorrow, just back from EuroDisney... Knackered!

Hmmm bit annoyed to find out after I ordered it doesn't have digital out enabled.

Should be able to take a look tomorrow, just back from EuroDisney... Knackered!

Wow I didn't know that either and as digital output is essential for me (my Lyngdorf only has digital inputs) I am very glad I have nor ordered yet. I find it annoying when this sort of restriction is not made clear.

Its starting to look as though I will have to wait a few months before deciding on the SA players as a lot of functionality I want isn't there yet.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom