Simple and Stable HD Linux Box?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by Redeye UK, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Sorry another 'what box' thread. I've been out of the game for a while - my AZbox is still doing all I need! (no really).

A mate has asked if I can help get him set up and I don't know what boxes are hot at the moment?

I really liked the TM500 for non experts. Very stable and the built in webserver for cam editing was just nice and straight forward.

Is there a good HD equivalent, apart from the TM800 which I don't think is well supported?

In order of priority Simple>Stable>Price>Media Playback.

Two weeks of an overheating DM800 has put me off those Dreamoneygrabbers for life.

The Vu boxes were coming out just as I got my last box are these still 'the box'.

Thanks.

2. kevkbuk

kevkbuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,169
    Yep don't touch tm800...

Dm800se clones are very mature and stable and the official vus are good too.

3. Davey H

Davey H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Avoid the TM HD boxes....

Depending on budget have a look at Gigablue, Vu+ and Xtrend boxes.

And given the price Gigablues and Vu+ can be had for these days I'd avoid DM clones personally.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  4. gab2001uk

gab2001uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I have 3 VU+ Duo and an X-trend plus 2 TM boxes.
    Regarding stability one of the Duo boxes is on 24/7 since purchase (over 2yrs now) and has kept the subscription card in it up to date with entitlements with no problems. I re-boot it maybe 2 or 3x per year.
    The x-trend is less stable, so comes in as second choice.
    I have TM boxes, but would not recommend them.

VU+ duo gets my vote and ticks all the boxes except for maybe the price.

5. Oily

Oily

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Another vote for the VU+ Duo

6. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    My vote is for the Extrend, wonderful Picture Quality and with the Vix image fantastic useabilty...

7. ABARKIE

ABARKIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The PIP makes the extrend a great box

Shame I could never get the card readers to work

If they did it would be better than my Duo, without it comes a very close second.

Also Duo is more stable than et9000

Thanks

8. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    What image were you using as my card reader works fine with Vix.

There was a short period where I was using the ExtrendV5 image and the card reader stopped working but was fixed in a subsequent update.

9. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Thanks people, I really apreciate your input though I thought I might ease him in with a cheaper/single tuner box.

I see the Vu solo is cheap, is this basically the same as the duo but without the obvious, or is there more to it?

The Gigablue SE looks really good value with DVBS2 & DVBT2 tuners which could work well, as long as the support is ok?

Doesn't look like Xtrend do a single tuner (ET5000) anymore?

He's coming from freeview only so whatever I do is gonna blow his mind. His Mrs seems keen as well. Wait till she sees the dish!

10. Davey H

Davey H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +152
    Solo is single tuner, has a lower spec'd CPU (333MHz opposed to Duo's 400MHz) and doesn't take an internal hdd, though you can attach USB drives

Support was slow to start, but its good now with various teams developing images, and regular driver/bootloader updates being released. The additional tuner is a hybrid DVB-T/C tuner btw, not DVB-T2

I bought the 800 SE originally, and have been so impressed with the stability, and quality of these given the price, i now also have the UE too. Great little budget receivers imo.

ET6500 is the latest single tuner offering from Xtrend. Though hasn't reached the UK yet, but available from mainland Europe

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  11. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    Where was it from - I've installed to loads of clone DM800HDs & the Alps tuner's sensitivity especially has been really impressive/ no overheating issues & long lives ... kevkbuk's got one on a 1.1 & pulls in Nilesat horizontals / did a
    DM800 to an 88 in east Stoke & over a 60m coax run- same sort of result (relative to the smaller dish size)- lots of examples like that -

I do know you can buy not so good ones & I do remember the loads of the cheapest DM500s with terrible tuners & running red hot & iffy psu's , it's making sure you get a good one- a good DM800se would fit the criteria. I'd give another vote to the VU+Duo too.

12. Intenso

Intenso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    pedro, do you know whether its possible to use an ADMC Sports card in non Humax receivers with more sensitive tuners?

13. pedro2000uk

pedro2000uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,079
    I have heard they've started allowing them to be paired to other receivers- the only one I know of is the Humax iCord - there's a recent thread on here about doing just that- whether it's any more sensitive is another matter as I've not heard of the icord mentioned for sensitivity but Humax's spec on the icord says it should be better than even a TM5402 & Foxsat but you can't go off spec' / claims like that- but they do make the Foxsat.

The problem is in the UK you'd still need a big big dish even with the most sensitive tuners to get DVB & FEC'S OF 3/4 on the easier of the 2 sats it's on ... - ADMC are on DVB-S2 plus 5/6 FEC - both push the break up threshold up - something which you don't see in the footprint like Sky HD here.

14. ABARKIE

ABARKIE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Pretty sure it was Vix

Maybe I need to get reacqainted with it and try

What image are you using then?

I have JSC Iredeto card and Tring card and BG Card and Viasat Card also an Omnikey - if that helps :D

15. Stanman

Stanman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +156
    For what you need and the money I would look at the Gigiblue but if you want a try and tested box than it has to be any of the VU+ region - new models coming out this year as well.