1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple amp for whole house audio - recomendations?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by meep, Jul 3, 2002.

1. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi All,

First post in Amp forum, please be gentle.....

I'm considering setting up a simple whole house audio system. I've looked at several self contained solutions which incorporate multi-channel amplification, matrix source switching, remote keypad control etc. Solutions from Kustom, QED etc. all start around £1,000 for my installation requirements and go up from there.

I've been recently thinking about alternatives. I have a Comfort home automation sytem and have extensive x10 throughout my house. I figure I could program comfort to take signals from cost effective wall mounted X10 rf transmitters (£20 ea.) and convert them to IR commands at my a/v rack via comfort.

Then, all i would need is an amp per zone. I figure I could get away with a very simple amp. My key features would be;

1. IR remote control capability (volume, power, source select)
    2. Three inputs (CD, HTPC, FM receiver)
    3. Cheap

Additional but not essential requirements might be;

4. A/B speaker selection for control of sub-zones (bedroom/en-suite etc.)
    5. In built receiver
    6. Silver finish

I'd need four of these amps to start with (one per zone) and could take it from there.

Could anyone recomend a suitable model. I've done some initial looking on various websites (richersounds, hifibitz etc.) and see amps strating at £79. Would these be suitable? Anything I should be looking out for? Good places to look for bargains?

Thanks in advance

Peter

2. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Do you really need an amp for each zone? I use a very crude system with one amp driving speakers in three rooms. This is only possible because of speaker switching. I suggest you take advantage of this but make sure that switching can be done with your remote control!

3. meep

meep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Dood,

I currently have the set-up you're speaking of - without the remote control.

The problems with that configuration are;

1. Restricted to a single source in each zone
    2. restricted to uniform volume in each zone (unless speajer side zone vol controls installed).

I'm really after something with a little more flexibility.......

Peter