Simple Alternative To Varilight

PSH16

Standard Member
Just moved house.

Basically did everything in a hurry.

Never really thought about home automation before, but now really interested in it.

I put some standard varilight light switches on, however being a 'newbie' I didnt realise that they were IR. I know want to change them to RF devices so I can turn the upstairs lights on and off from downstairs. I want to do this with as little fuss as possible, as the whole house has just been decorated.

If i had planned ahead, I could have obviously linked everything up but now it seems like I have missed the chance after decorating.

Eventually I would like to control the heating, outside lights etc etc too, and be able to do it on the computer.

Finally, can anyone recommend a remote which tells you if the lights are on or off etc. I dont want to keep having to run up the stairs to check after my 5 year old gets hold of the remote!

Any advice gratefully recieved.

Bruce_

Two RF systems worth considering - RAKO & GET

Not sure if either can do the 2way stuff you'd need for checking the light status. But you can use remote controls to control lights in other rooms.

so99

Found this stuff from Clipsal Ulti - Mega Expensive but no need to rewire. You may need 35mm deep boxes or they also sell spacers for those with shallow boxes. I am trying it in 2 rooms to start and will buy more later if they are any good. Try http://www.cyberselect.co.uk/range/651

So

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom