Simple airplay 2 speakers for kitchen

NeedEverything

Novice Member
I'm a new user so hope I've put this in the right place! I have searched the forums but couldn't find a similar answer to this.

For context - at the moment we listen to all our music on the small Amazon echo dots... so we are starting from a very low bar in terms of sound quality. We're moving house and I think I've settled on wanting to mainly use Apple Airplay 2 to play all of our music from Spotify from our iPhones (me and my wife), we have two accounts so sometimes will have two lots of music playing in separate rooms, sometimes the same stream to multiple rooms.

From what I can tell - I can just get any hardware with Apple Airplay 2, e.g.
1. a full size amp with AirPlay 2 and floor standing speakers in one sitting room, which will also double up as a TV surround sound;
2. perhaps a soundbar in the other sitting room for the TV, again with Airplay 2;
3. a portable rechargeable speaker with Airplay2 for the Garden and anywhere else we want it; and
4. In the kitchen I want some half decent sounding speakers but just something simple I can ideally mount on the wall to keep out of the way. Something like the KEF LSX would be perfect - but these are £1k and I am wondering / confident you could probably find a similar quality (in terms of sound quality) solution but for a lot less. I know you can use an Apple Airport Express as an Airplay 2 dongle essentially (with optical out).

So long story short - my question is - are there any much lower priced options (e.g. £200-500, happy to go used rather than new) for something like active speakers (I think they're called), with an optical in, that I could mount on the kitchen wall and have plugged into the airport express to be the kitchen speakers?

Thanks for any advice that can be offered, both in terms of the kitchen speakers and the overall proposal to use AirPlay 2 across the house!

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom