Simple 805/875 questions.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by coldmachine, Sep 21, 2007.

1. coldmachine

coldmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    I've had different answers to these questions before, so would you mind answering only if you have tried this.

1. Can volume and surround mode info be displayed on screen when changes are made. I dont mean a full OSD?

2. With listening mode preset, can I select PLIIx for a DD input and then DD signals will always have PLIIx applied automatically?

2. coldmachine

coldmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
  3. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Assuming you are connecting via HDMI, as I understand it, you can only have on screen display if the video source is analogue. Certainly on my 805 I get no on screen display when the input is HDMI. I have no analogue sources connected to test that option though. The 875 may be different has it has a different video processor.

Assuming you have 6/7.1 speakers yes, otherwise you can only apply PLII to DD Surround/2.0 (this may be stating the obvious as you did mention PLIIx...)

4. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    On my 875 you have a full OSD via HDMI. You can have an onscreen volume bar as well if you want ( without full OSD ).

As far as I know the Surround mode will always be on the amp ( displays the current listening mode ) or in the main OSD setup menu.

And second you can select the listening mode for whatever you like, you can have a different listening mode for Sky and DVD if you like.

5. coldmachine

coldmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    are you saying there is no OSD via HDMI or just that momentary information is not displayed via HDMI?

6. coldmachine

coldmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    When you change surround modes is it displayed on screen momentarily?

The manual does not appear to expalin what information is will be dispalyed id " Immediate Dispaly" is ON in the OSD setup. I was hoping that as well as a volume bar it would momentarily display surround modes when they are changed. Is this not the case?

7. filmman

filmman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi
    On my 875 if you change surround mode it will momentarily show it on screen, together with the volume setting if you alter it.
    You can also cycle through the speaker level settings and adjust with it on screen.

8. Ross-P

Ross-P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi filmman, I don't know if you are getting any picture judder ( I was ) but if you turn off the volume ( in the menu OSD setup - immediate display off ) display on screen, you won't get any judder. The manual actually recommends doing this.

9. coldmachine

coldmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    Thanks.

10. Samurai303

Samurai303

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The setup menu etc. is displayed, but that's all. I think it is most likely because on the 805 HDMI in->HDMI out is a simple pass through switch, and as such there is no processing in the amp to overlay the OSD information.
    Just found the section in the manual:

Immediate Display
    This setting determines whether operation details are displayed onscreen immediately after an AV receiver function is used.
    On:
    Displayed (default).​
    Off:
    Not displayed.​
    Even if On is selected, operation details are not output if the input source is connected to a COMPONENT VIDEO IN or HDMI IN.​

11. coldmachine

coldmachine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +178
    So are we saying that the momentary information is not available on the 805 but is available on the 875?

12. rad007

rad007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just received my 2nd 875 this morning (1st one blew up after 20 mins) and am trying to connect my Xbox360.
    I am connecting via component (IN3) and assigned AUX1 for it.
    Have set the amp to HMDI out (which according to the manual it can do with component in). My monitor is set to HD and 1080p as is my 360.
    I just get a blue screen. I've also tried changing the settings in monitor out to Through and Auto and still no joy.
    Any ideas ?

13. cajam124

cajam124

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having the same problem with X-box 360 not displaying on the HDTV screen (only a blue screen). I also have the X-box connected via component to IN3; with HDMI OUT to the TV. Did you ever solve the problem? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cajam124

14. ianjm

ianjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Try setting the X-Box down to 720p (ideally, failing that, 1080i) in its settings menus, if you currently have it at 1080p. The 1080p over component that the X-Box 360 can output is out-of-spec for most receiver hardware (it's a bit of a hack, as I understand it), although it works on some newer TVs.

Remember that the 360 is 'native' at 720p, so when you set the 360 to 1080i or 1080p, it's using its own upscaling chip anyway, and I reckon that the upscaler in the ONKYO will do a better job anyway.