1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simple 6 or 8 channel RF remote and reciever with relays

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Alexg, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

Maplin did a 8 channel remote control and a reciever board which comunicated with each other by RF rather than infrared - pressing the apropirate numbered keys on the control would trigger the corrisponding relay in the controller board and they could be set to latch or be momentary,

I was just about to buy one to control all of my low voltage LED lighting but maplin have just discontinued it, grrr!

Has anyone seen anything similar to this, the relays were designed to switch low voltage, not mains which is what I want and it was £35 I think.

Many thanks.

2. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  3. vex

vex

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +261
  4. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the replies guys,

With the kit from "Quality Kits" will I have any problems using it in the UK, I.E will the RF frequency interfear with any of my other RF UK kit? My projector screen has an RF remote contol, and I also plan to get the Philips Pronto which will use RF to comunicate between the control and the reciever in the cupboard.

Thanks.

5. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    433MHz is an allocated UK frequency and most RF remotes work at this frequency. However, this should be a positive thing as you may be able to use a learning remote to control the relays. A quick review of the manual doesn't reveal whether it is possible to change the codes that are sent but it does reveal that it is a Velleman kit. There is a good chance that the codes for the relay kit are diffierent from those of the other devices that you have but there is no guarantee. Try contacting either Quality Kits or Velleman and see if they can make any comments. Since these are Velleman kits you may also find some other suppliers in Europe (Velleman are in Belgium).

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

6. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  7. Alexg

Alexg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Rectorydp,

Many thanks, you have been very helpfull, I will have a search and see if I can find a European supplier. I don't think there are any learning remotes out yet that can learn RF signals, would be usefull if there were though. I'll let you know what I buy.

Fulltopuk:- I know of CPC and RS, I've used both of them for many years and have an account with both companies, however they don't apear to stock this kit, only one CPC do is in a keyfob design.

Cheers, Alex.

8. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Alex

Your''re right of course. In fact I don't know if there are any learning remotes that learn RF. I had forgotten that I used another RF receiving device to learn my RF stuff. I am also using modified Prontos to produce the RF signals - although I believe it is possible to programme the RU950/980 with RF codes as well.

If you do get this kit and an RF Pronto let me know and I will see if I can help you get the codes into the Pronto - I can't guarantee it will be possible but it may be worth a try.

Sadly the kit I got to modify the Pronto is no longer available although it would be possible to make an equivalent. There are a few more clues about all this in the review I did for Automated Home - see here

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1394

BR
    David

9. Fulltopuk

Fulltopuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    so RS stock code 451 0523 is not a 8/16 channel RF handheld transmitter then?

10. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I just had a look at the product at RS and it does indeed look as if it would do what is required. I notice that it is produced by RF Solutions (as suggested by Vex) so it appears you can get this direct from them as well. It looks as if this unit is more configurable than the Velleman kit (you also don't have to construct it!). It is a good bit more expensive though.....