1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simpad problem Help please

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by raydundas@bluey, Dec 30, 2004.

1. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received an SLC model of the simpad today as I was told they were slightly better than the sl4, but it seems faulty. When I try to reansfer any file or programme with Activesync, it crashes the simpad and it needs reset. it also does not show same amount of memory as my SL4. Should it not have the same memory. I have even put on latest bootloader and upgraded to the same upto date O.S. 4.1 as my other simpad, but it is no better. Any suggestions ?

2. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got another pc to try the sync software on? I thought the sl4 had more memory though?

3. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its not the sync software. I did once manage to get a picture over to it and once got Remote control II over to it. With each, when I tried to use them on the simpad, it hung and needed reset

4. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and youve done all the fake dll stuff? or does RC2 not need that? I had such fun and games getting net remote working but it does now.

5. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Luckily remote control II does not need that done. The attraction I can see for netremote is it looks from the screenshots as if it supports transparent Gifs, which remote control II does not yet. it apparently will in a future update. I have to say though, that Frank at wincesoft has been so helpfull with the programme and the simpad that I am sticking with his programme. happy I broke the habit of a lifetime and bought a full legit copy of a great bit of softwaee :~))

6. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Ray - Which cable method are you using to sync the Simpad with - USB or Serial?

7. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Serial. Seems sorted now. Had to do the drastic step and take the small round clip off the back and hold down button for 60 secs, then wait about 10 minutes and now I a have managed to load in remote control II and run it and the memory is now reading correctly, the same as my SL4. Thank you to all that helped.

Cheers
    Ray

8. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, we need to start a new simpad thread for config stuff.. Im using netremote purely for its ability to control my global cache.

9. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ray, what is the battery like on your simpad? mine isnt lasting that long and today I had a shock to find that the battery had gone dead overnight and the simpad had been wiped of all my data and settings..

10. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have not had that problem with the one I got from the muppet on Ebay. Not tested battery life on the SLC I have yet. Will use the battery button in RCII, to keep an eye on it though.

11. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can I ask where you got your slc? I cant believe its supposed to wipe the memory if the main battery dies..

12. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also on Ebay from Portugal. I do not think it can save to its Rom, so if it dies completely you would loose everything, so the battery situation would be a big problem.

13. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Incidentaly, on my sl4, a soft reset does not delete installed programmes, but on the sl4 it does, wierd

14. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I'm a little confused by your last post Ray - do you mean between the SLC & SL4?

15. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes, sorry the SLC has the more extreme soft reset. It is true though that the screen on the SLC is better and response to screen taps is also improved

16. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think Im going to go the XP tablet route. Put my simpad up for sale.

17. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long is the battery lasting. I have just put the battery and memory monitor buttons on Remote Controll II so I can monitor it more closely and not get caught out. Is it an SL4 or SLC you have ? I was thinking myself that when simpad gives up the ghost, I would go for a tablet pC, though I think they are a lot heavier and a bit too big for a remote I think, but I do like the remote control II software and it does not work under XP as far as I know.

18. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its lasting about 5-7hrs in fairness, I just wasnt expecting it to loose setting with a drained battery.. appears to be a feature and means you need to charge the pad once a week. Its an sl4.

19. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    TBH - I think this is the one area of weakness regarding the Simpad - I lost track of the days over the xmas break,and in turn lost all my software due to battery drain,due in part to it being used more,and not recharging it as required as a result.
    I left the house with the battery status on my RCII software power tab at 20% & came back the following day,thinking I'll charge it up .... but that was to late,as the battery has completely discharged..Although I backed everything up on a laptop,it was a pain in the ar$e to have to reinstall everything. :rolleyes:

20. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wonder if you could hack the rom image to include remote software and the ccfs.. then it wouldnt matter so much.
    If I could find a dock id stick with the simpad though.

21. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Likewise,although I fear that a dock for the Simpad is indeed a rare beast.

22. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive just put RC2 on it.. it appears much faster than netremote.. any idea if it supports global caches?

23. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RCII definately the muts nuts and ig you email frank at wince soft it is the best customer support I have ever experienced. He has already agreed to put in a small change in a future upgrade, on my suggestion. I was well chuffed

24. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  25. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Ray - Sorry for being nosey,but what was the change that you asked Frank to put in?

26. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A selection box for new buttons, to switch between global and individual button, as sometimes when making a few new buttons, if you do not add them correctly, when you go to add the second button, it also changes the first.

27. Moviebuff

Moviebuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Just updated to ver 1.11 - this program just gets better!

28. mikeyavman

mikeyavman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sadly confirmed as no global cache support yet