1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Simpad Extended IR

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by clarkk, Apr 13, 2005.

1. clarkk

clarkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi All,

Just thought i'd start a quick thread to say, ive just finished fitting a couple of extra IR emitters to my Simpad SL4 and the range is now great, i can point it almost anywhere and it'll still work :)

I got some specs from iscolman for an internal addition, ive swapped out the parts for bits that are available from Maplin in the UK, 3 simple solder points and its away. Now i can use my wifi card and have a good IR range at the same time.

If anybodys interested in more details drop a note here and i'll dig out the part numbers and some pics (not inside yet as i forgot to take them when it was apart :( )

2. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Oooh, me please! And the instructions for how to get into the case as well if you'd be so kind - I'm a complete noob with this kit so any suggestions for useful sources of info also much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Al

3. clarkk

clarkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Well if theres some interest here i go :) I take no responsibility if you destroy anything etc ....

Circuit diagram is attached with parts as is where to connect the tx,gnd and +5v, i think ive got it right... I've also attached the circuit diagram i got with the parts i couldnt source in the UK.

Data sheets for components:

This one is handy cos it tells you which way around the pins are on the transistor:
    http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/INFINEON/BFN18.html

This is just for reference:
    http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/SIEMENS/LD271.html

I'll try and get some pics together of opening it up and such like at a later date, but i used a "nokia" T6 torx screwdriver, and theres just 6 to undo (including one under a warrnty sticker), then you just need to unplug the battery from the mainboard before removing the back.

I've still got some spare parts from maplin here, if you want them give me a shout via. pm and i'll send them for postage cost + a donation.

Hope this helps out somebody.

Attached Files:

4. CDphobe

CDphobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Clarkk

You're a star! So one transistor, one resistor, a couple of LEDs and that's it? Looks easy enough, so long as I can locate the right points on the circuit board...

By the way, how on earth have you ended up with spare bits from Maplin when they're all available as Qty 1 items?!

Al

5. Gadget Daddy

Gadget Daddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +185
    is it the same for the SLC???
    also how much do the parts cost as oppose to an ir extender?

Pete

6. clarkk

clarkk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    I would imagine the the SLC is the same, but i havent seen the insides, the only difference might be the 5volt, but it'll be available on there somewhere...

Parts cost under a pound, so a fair bit cheaper, but the best thing is that it leaves the pcmcia slot free.

As for the spare parts, partly because they were so cheap i thought i'd get a few to make postage worthwhile and partly because i expected to break some whilst fiddling, but it worked first time :)

7. ilostmybrain

ilostmybrain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a few small recommendations to any one wanting to do this project.......

Clarkk's diagram simpad_ir.jpg is just plain wrong!

The symbol used for the transistor is for a PNP transistor not an NPN and regardless of this the pins are mislabelled. If you build this circuit depending on which exact version you are going to interpret you will most likely blow up some of the components and possibly the Simpad too.

The original simpad_ir_old.jpg is correctly drawn, and works properly I recommend you follow this instead.

The solider points are deceptively small and it's easy to damage a PCB with a cheap oversized soldiering iron, I would recommend a decent one with a small point and maybe a magnifying glass and something to hold things in place while soldering. Even so this is a fiddly project and it's easy for poorly soldiered points to come loose and short other components on the board.

I would also recommend you source a GaAlAs Infrared Emitter the one recommended by Clarkk is a GaAs which will have significantly lower power output for the same IF (forward current).

I used the HIRL5020 GaAIAs Infrared Emitter which worked well. This is very similar in spec to the TSAL6200, with a wide Angle of half intensity, a high radiant intensity and 940nm output (I believe this is supposed to be a good match to the photo detector). I found this component at RS, if any one is interested.

I stuck the IR Leds out through the smart card slot as the case is quite flexible here and AFAIK the filter does nothing for emitters but cut down output, although it is important for the detectors to filter out visible light. The chances of me using the smart card reader are very low, not that I know of any software the uses it anyway so I was willing to sacrifice that to keep the PCMCIA slot which is definitely useful. I find the range and dispersion to be very good, I can aim off the wall or use the remote in another room and still have it work reliably.

Finally one last little thing, use a T7 torx screwdriver/bit to undo the case a T6 will work but it's a little small and may damage the screws.

Anyway thanks for the effort as the project does basically work, although I would recommend checking your work a bit more thoroughly in future.