1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

simpad alternative ???

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by raydundas@bluey, Jun 23, 2005.

1. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a couple of simpads and they were great when used with remote control II software, but the limited memory and the fact it only had one expansion slot, meant it had limitations. Around that time people started posting pictures of some hopefull alternatives. Were any of them any good. I am looking for a more upto date version of the simpad I suppose, that ideally does run remote control II or similar software and either has an in-built good i.r. range or takes a remote extender. Is there anmything out there.

Cheers
    Ray

2. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    Hello Ray,

I'm interested in why you think the Simpad has limitations. Do you want to use it as a remote control or as a portable PC or web-pad? It seems to fall between regular programmable remotes with small screens and 1 - 2 MB memory, and real hand held PCs running pentiums and HDDs. RCII doesn't support the latter; only Strongarm and Xscale processors IIRC, so real handhelds are a different ball game. I've heard the IR is short compared with purpose made remotes, but that there's also a convenient fix.

regartds, Nick

3. raydundas@bluey

raydundas@bluey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You cannot have the remote extender to improve IR AND the wifi card in at the same time, hence the limitation. If I could get a Simpad SLC with the better screen AND the mod which allows for ir improvement as well as wifi, then I would get one

Cheers
    Ray