Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

SimonMallion + Carlos13

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by greyhorse, Jun 3, 2005.

1. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Did you get sorted with your PV500 demo and purchase ????

:D :hiya: :D :clap: :smashin:

2. SimonMallion

SimonMallion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have had my demo at multiregionmagic, I just have to wait a couple of weeks since I am moving house before I can buy anything :(. I have decided to get the following which has just about maxed out my budget:

Panasonic TH42PV500 with Pedestal stand, will be replace by wall mount at some point,
    Panasonic DMREH50 since it is part of deal, should go nice with my TiVo (cannot do without that, but I will have to upgrade my hard disk considerably on that),
    Denon AVR1705, only need 5.1 setup, not keen about lots of speakers in the room, this amp will do nicely for what I want,
    Mordaunt Short Avant Premiere Plus, I wanted some speakers which weren't too obtrusive (sp?)

I did demo the PV500 against the PE50 (this was my original choice) and decided to get the PV500 based on the following:

PV500 looked much more detailed showing a HD source, some diagonal lines looked to have 'jaggies' on the PE50 (I am aware the PE50 accepts HD but doesn't have HD resolution),
    PV500 didn't have the speaker grill running along the bottom like the PE50, also the sound was nice from the PV500 (I would probably not always be using the amp and speakers, especially when my little one is watching his childrens programmes),
    PV500 will allow me to connect up my laptop via the VGA input at the back, so I do not need to buy a separate DivX or SVCD player (I was originally going to buy a Pioneer DV575). Also, I may build a HTPC soon if I can find time.
    PV500 has picture in picture and all those other modes. This isn't really important, but I reckon it may be useful if I want flick to another channel when the wife is watching Eastenders.
    PV500 has the ability to record to an SD card. This will only come in useful if there happens to be 3 things on TV at once that want recording - 1 on TiVo, 1 on EH50 and 1 on SD card. I had a demo of this feature and there are some restrictions though: a) you cannot record HD to a SD card, b) the recorded video only fills about a quarter of the screen when played back on the TV, c) I think the recorded audio is mono not stereo.

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well glad you had a good demo, Forum is doing its job :)