1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Similar to Denon AVC10SE but with delay

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ihan, Sep 10, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi all,

Existing amp: Denon AVC10SE

I have ugraded to a Panasonic TH42PW6 plasma screen and now require an amplifier with audio delay. From my experience to date, the delay required needs to be adjustable on a per input basis. Most DVDs seem to be in sync, but the Grundig sky box I have seems to have variable audio delay depending upon which channel is selected!

Therefore, I require an amp upon which the delay can be adjusted on the digital optical input (for DVDs) and a second independant delay can also be adjusted via a 2 channel RCA socket input (from sky box).

Since I already have a denon, the 3805 seems the ideal choice. Can someone confirm that you can set a different delay for 2 different inputs?

If it hasn't, which amps around the £800 mark have?

Also, 2 channel audio performance from a CD player is of paramount importance. My AVC10SE is very good in this respect, will the 3805 be noticeably worse? If so what is a good hi-fi quality alternative (with dual input delay) to the 3805?

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

Regards,
    ihan

2. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Denon's will let you have a different A/V delay per input. To use A/V Delay with an analogue signal you must use a mode such as Dolby PLII which converts the signal to digital for processing etc. You can't access it if you only use Stereo Mode for example.

The 3805 has superior processing to the A10SE as well as a Pure Direct Mode which is pretty good for music. The A10SE has superior amplification though.

Bear in mind the delay varies on Sky channels, you'll get it correct for one but when you change channels it will be out again. I tend to use 60ms and just stick with that otherwise you'll go mental adjusting it all the time. You have to access the main Setup Menu to adjust the A/V Delay. It can't be done on the fly from the remote as such.

3. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi,

Thanks for the multi-delay confirmation. That is good news.

Your remark worries me from a CD quality perspective. Does this amp have audio sound that is as good as it gets for the money (my budget of £800), or should I be looking at another manufacturer?

Thanks,
    ihan

4. Arcangel

Arcangel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's very good for the money and you won't find another unit in it's price range with all it's features/specs/configuration. The fact that the A10SE has better amplification is down to it's THX Ultra specification and that it can drive speakers with a low impedance (down to 3.2 Ohms). It would certainly be worth trying to demo a 3805 if possible and preferably in your own home. :)