Similar sounding DAC to improve upon my AVR200 dac...any suggestions please

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by deaf cat, Apr 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. deaf cat

deaf cat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    :hiya:

I am thinking it would be wonderfull to be able to feed my main music source (a squeezebox) in to a nice dac, as well as all the other digital sources that curently go into the AVR200 via the digital out. Then straight into a power amp.

I think I need some more research on the straight into a power amp scenario:rolleyes:
    The squeeze box has a volume control, but I'm unsure the AVR200 would vary the digital out.

However sound quality of the music (if there is only one i/p on the dac) would take priority over pluging in the AVR digi out.

Something like a Beresford TC-7510 MKIII, or Bel Canto DAC2 would need the volume into it adjustable I guess, where as something like a DAX Decade could vary its output.

From what I've read a Derek Shek d2 is a big improvement on the SB, however the soundstage is somewhat set back and gives out quite a gentle sound. Where as a Benchmark DAC1 gives a nice forward soundstage but may sound a little too harsh.....

Anyone found a nice stand alone dac that compares favourably to an Arcam cdp/dvdp dac?

You may have noticed budget is somewhat variable, I'm looking at under £1k - fingers crossed ;)
    (The Slimdevices Transporter and Patrick's SB+ are on the list to demo)
    Just wondering if I can narrow the dac list to listen to with your help.

Cheers for any thoughts :smashin: