Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Similar problem to Mark ward

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by grumpyguy, Jan 21, 2003.

1. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    My future inlaws have just bought a sony idtv. They live in a non freeview area, but they can pick up most of the channels. Sony say they need a new aerial, as it is 26 years old, so they can pick up freeview. They contacted the local aerial installer, who said they couldn't get freeview at all, until my other half put him right.

Do you think a new aerial is needed, as the installer said on the phone, they will need one for analogue, and a seperate one for digital. I personally cannot see why they would need two.

Would a booster box for digital be okay, as argos sell one that is for digital tv. http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/comme...nbr=6970&type=big&thisMode=ols&cgrfnbr=785830
    Would this help them to boost the digital signal?

Thanks in advance

2. bar

bar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a new wide band ariel would certainly do no harm and should help to increase signal strength and possibly help pick up the missing channels.

I would try this alone first without the signal booster, i have heard reports from people saying that they make the digital picture less stable.

You could always buy one from argos though, try it out and if it doesnt work just take it back, they have a 14 day return period.

As you say there is no reason why you should need 2 ariels. You could always keep the old ariel to feed tv's in other rooms though.

3. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Ask different aerial installers - some would rather flog a Sky install, some don't know what they're on about, some have no digital test kit, some are excellent.

4. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It depends absolutely on which UHF channels your programmes are being broadcast on. For example, if all the analogue ones are located between, say, 21 and 35 and all digital between, say, 45 and 69, then it would make sense to use a Group A and a Group CD aerial in order to get maximum signal for each with less risk of interference.

You could equally use a wideband aerial but the overall gain would be less, especially at the bottom (21) and top (69) of the band, and the risk of inteference greater. In addition, the analogue signals are likely to be much stronger than the digital.

You have two choices. Either read up about this in a book - "Piping TV Around the House" is one I'd recommend (fairly easy to understand and you can download it) - or rely on the expertise of your local aerial installer who, in theory, should know what he's doing. But in practice many of them muddle through without a clue! At least by reading up on the subject you'd know if he's b*llsh*tting you.

Fman

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    I have heard that you can only have one Digital source from each aerial as the signal can't be divided up without significant loss. And AMplifiers will not work well on digital it is possible to amplify a digital signal but i haven't seen one available yet. I would speak to a different installer.

6. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Well, I have a mast head amp and the following devices

Aerial->Amp-----(downlead)---------->PSU-->IDTV-->Nokia Box-->
    SLHF950-->VTCM40----(old downlead now uplead)------------>Splitter-->DTVA/25" TV

3 DTTV devices on one aerial:eek:

7. pop-blue

pop-blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I install a lot of sony idtv's and to get the digital programmes, firstly you do need to have the signal running from a digital transmitter(that's the obvious bit) Go to

http://www.freeview.co.uk/ and this will give you an indication as to whether it's in your area..
    Make sure that the aerial goes into the right socket on the tv as there are 2 inputs. You want input 1 then output to the video and back from the video into input 2.

Check the signal strength your getting from the set-up mode and this will give you a second indication.
    You do not need 2 aerials as long as the aerial and lead is good quailty. Being an old one this will not though i have done 1 or 2 that have been that old.
    If you need any more help pm me. Hope this helps

8. grumpyguy

grumpyguy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Well the future inlaws called a different person out about the aerial, and all it needs is to be raised slightly higher, and something extra fitted to it to receive digital.

If only all aerial installers new what they were doing!

9. pop-blue

pop-blue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad you got it sorted mate..
    Don't worry i see it everyday in my job. Installing tv's you get to see all sorts of cowboys work.