1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

sim300+ to PC?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by alistair, Aug 21, 2005.

1. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    having relocated my desktop i want to connect it to my projector so i can display/listen to content on my computer on screen. i have the RI unit and receiver currently in place. what cables do i need and how would you recommend i hook it up? thanks

2. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Alistair,

A good quality 15 pin VGA to VGA cable.

3. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks Alan,
    is that it? sorry for my lack of knowledge but will that carry audio too or is that just the display?
    i only have the one 15 pin output on my pc and i would still like to use my existing monitor too. can i use the s-video into the back of the remote interface? will i be able to use s-video out intoo the back of my denon amp/receiver then select the appropriate source through the amp just like any other input? failing that is there some sort of splitter device so i can run dual output to the pj and the monitor?
    i don't know if this would help but i do have another output available on the pc between the 15pin and the s-video slot. i can't describe it very well but maybe you'll know what it is.
    thanks again

4. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    The 15pin is as you suspect video only, and that will give the best image output. What graphics card is it?

Audio should come from the sound card in your PC and go to your amp. A 5.1 sound card with a spdif output will allow DD/DTS and extended formats to be decoded by your amp as well, so you can you use your PC for DVD/Hi Def playback with full 5.1 audio.

If you want to share the PC with both monitor an projector, you can do it one of tow ways - some graphics cards allow you to have two displays conected, and use a keyboard key combination to switch between them, or you can use an external KVM device which does the same thing. Don't use anything less than the vga or you will get a reduced quality image.

I think that about covers it, but Alan will add or correct anything I've missed. My mind still isn't straight after seeing the new C3X so any errors should be forgivable under the circumstances. :)

Gary.

5. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Gary,
    proving a very useful and informative forum as usual :thumbsup:
    my pc is quite old (3/4 years or so). will look at the graphics card but don't think at this stage it will be "special" enough to give me what i need. will look at the kvm device seperately and also the issue of the souond output too.
    So I am left with the possibility of just switching over the 15pin cable as and when i need it, which is a little fiddly but would seem the simplest solution.

One question though. will the sim detect the input and display it? everything is routed through the amp at the moment so that is my switching device for all sources.

thanks again. please don't tell me i've got another pj upgrade coming :D

6. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Alistair

You won't be able to switch your PC input through your A/V amp so you will have to select your sound on the amp and your picture on the Sim2.

BTW, you can buy a passive VGA switching box very cheaply to save you unplugging your monitor every time you wish to use the PC through the projector.

Jeff

7. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeff,
    I have attached the recommended 15pin cable to the remote interface unit.
    I feel stupid for having to ask but I cannot figure out what key strokes are required on the remote control to view the output. I have tried all combos but to no avail.
    Any ideas please?

8. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Alistair,

You have to press the 0 button on the remote control twice, first push brings up the inputs on the projector second push shows the R1 inputs. If I remember correctly it will be labelled graphics RGB.

9. alistair

alistair

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah Alan the famous 0 0 9 button combo!
    many thanks
    I feel a whole new world of htpc about to engulf me :)