Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Sim2 SVP 420 throw distance

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Gorwanvfr, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Gorwanvfr

Gorwanvfr
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have a Sim2 SVP 420 CRT projector and have just moved in to a new house. The room is just over six meters long (6.09). I want to put the projector in an adjoining room and knock a hole in the wall so just the front of the three lenses will be showing. My question: - Is it possible to have the screen 18 feet away from the projector and if so what size will the screen end up? Different people have said the projector needs to be back 1 1/5 times the width of the screen; this would make the screen 12feet wide (not diagonal) which I think is too big for the projector and would over power the room. I have read the manual but can't figure it out. Any help would be great

2. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    1.5 x screen width is correct. Your throw distance would give a 12ft wide image which is definately too much for almost any 7" CRT. You could force the projector to drive that sort of screen size but I don't believe you would enjoy the image, and you'll kill the tubes pretty quickly i.e. less than 6 months :eek:

I hate to say this, but if you can't mount the projector in the viewing room then you would be better off looking at a single lense projector with a long throw lens. The Sim2 DLPs would fit the bill quite well. Domino 18 has a 2.3-3.1 throw ratio. For an 18ft throw distance the screen would be 5.8 - 7.8ft wide.

Regards