1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Timmy C, Jan 6, 2005.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I understand Sim2 UK are now doing a range of screens and was wondering if anyone had one and what they thought of it. Anyone know anywhere online I can find further info.?

Cheers

2. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Timmy

sent Sim2 uk and e-mail a few weeks ago and got this reply

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Thanks for the reply. Have you bought a new screen yourself yet? It's a tougher job than I thought it would be!

4. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi Timmy,

Yes just ordered a fix screen from these guys link in the states, its on its way now, It more than I was going to spend but are well we are only here once :D

Yes its a bit of an ordeal trying to get the right one :rotfl: just hope I have made the right choice, some of the guys on the US Av forums use the Carada and there quality get good marks from what been written

Seems from your other post that you are after a large screen (9ft dia), have you checked the Owl power buy on the screen section you can get an 8ft tab tension for just over a £1000 with two year warrantee and delivered sound like a good deal and they do look good, would have had one myself just could not get it in my small cinema room
    check it out the owl link

hope you get fix up :smashin:

Steve

5. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you got your screen sorted! I looked at the Owl screens in the power buy but remember a few people having problems in the past which has put me off a bit.

I'm also trying to find out why a replacement for my current Da-lite screen retails at about twice the cost of similar (9ft diagonal tab tensioned) Owl or Sim2 screens. Are Da-lite overpriced or are they altogether better screens? If anyone has any views on this then I'd like to hear them.

Cheers

6. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would say that Da-lite (also distributed by Sim2 in this country) do offer a better product - more of a lower priced Stewart.

Sim2 and Owl screens while ok and good value for money are an inferior product - lower cost motors and mechanics, finish etc, and not without their probs.

Being an American product Da-lite will no doubt be a bit more expensive over here.

7. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Owl and Sim2 screens use the same Somfy motors used by all the US screen manufacturers.

Jeff :rtfm:

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    After a bit of advice from Alan Roser I've decided to stick with my Da-lite and replace the damaged screen material.

If you're reading this Alan did you have any luck getting me a quote?

Cheers

9. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    cmo

Please clarify your quote "All I can say is that we have had quite a few problems with both Owl and Sim2 screens, but very rarely had any issues with both Da-Lite and Stewart"

Owl screens are not the same as ours and I would like to know how many problems you have had with our screens and how many you have bought - (assuming you are a dealer) perhaps you would be kind enough to send me a PM?

Regards

Alan Roser
    SIM2 UK Ltd

10. AD Roser

AD Roser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Timmy,

Shold have some news for you on Monday

Alan

11. cmo

cmo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Alan,

Most of the problems were with Owl screens, we only had a couple of issues with the sim2 screens a few months back, all of which have been resolved now.

I'll try and look back to see what the issues were.

In the mean time I have deleted the above post as reading it back it does look like I am saying there are equal issues with both screens which there aren't.

12. cameronl

cameronl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    hi everyone, where's a good place to buy a da-lite 1.3 gain screen here in the uk?

thanks

CaM

13. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I can't remember the best places I found when I was looking but I do remember the prices varied a lot so shop around. If I remember the name of anywhere I'll get back to you.