1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 - Rtx55-h Grand Cinema Dlp Projection Tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by MJeeves, Aug 2, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hello,

Doe any one have any opinions on the SIM2 - RTX55-H GRAND CINEMA DLP PROJECTION TV? Is there any reviews out there? Does anyone actually own one? Would this be a better buy than a plasma (i.e. Pioneer 50"?). How would they compare in terms of picture, reliability and flexibility?

Any info would be appreciated!

2. AV Junky

AV Junky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Look on the Home Cinema Choice website. They have reviewed this set, as I remember.

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Have seen one and yes it is impressive, real pain to mount a centrs speaker tho and takes up more space than a Pio 50" or Panny or Fujtsu etc etc etc, not many dealers have them and the one i saw was running D-VHS so it would look good!

4. cheeseywang

cheeseywang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    this month's What HiFi has an article on a SIM2 DLP RP TV - can't be certain it's the one you mention. I just remember the £8k price tag.

5. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    I don't own one yet, but will quite soon (original display only version, not the TV version that includes speakers, which should be available anytime now).

I did briefly look at the Pioneer 50" with digital input from a Pioneer DVD player, and thought it looked splendid. Needless to say, I thought the Sim2 was even better, else I wouldn't have one on order. The picture was probably not quite as bright as on the Pioneer, but it's very easy to watch and 'film-like' for want of a better description. It's great from DVD (component feed), HiDef is even better.

Flexibility isn't really an issue with the panel only version, it has plenty of inputs. Be aware that there is no audio, though. You'll need either an AV or stereo system. You don't even have the option to add speakers in the way that you can to some plasmas.

The TV version has speakers and a TV tuner, but it has a much more limited set of inputs. It's also less expensive.

The Domino DLP TV is also very good; I'm told that the RTX is better, but having seen both I think you'd have to be very discerning to be able to see much of a difference. One of these is pretty similar in price to a 50" plasma.

Other points; no screen burn issues, you get around 6000 hours of lamp life before needing a new bulb (£hundreds).

Try to see both (and the 50" Panasonic) if you're thinking of buying, tastes do vary. I've also heard good comments about the Loewe, but I couldn't find anywhere that had one that I could see.

6. coolcat

coolcat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi M.J they are a 3 shop concern based in Essex :eek:(

7. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Have you got your set yet? What do you think of it?

I got mine a couple of weeks ago and LOVE it!

Let me know.

M.J.

8. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Yes, I've had it for a couple of months now. Great set, absolutely stunning from DVD which gives a quite cinematic experience from the 8-9 feet away that I sit. Especially so with the sound cranked up through the hi-fi...

Sky picture is so-so, but my feed is pretty poor; I think the dish might need re-aligning. I tend to watch it in pixel-to-pixel mode, or normal for the movie channels which are better, but blown up to full size it can look a bit iffy.

But overall I'm very happy with it; the only slight downside is that I seem to be quite sensitive to the rainbow effect, which I didn't notice at all on any of the demonstrations.

Do I remember correctly that you were originally struggling with speaker placement? If so, what solution did you find, if any?

Paul

9. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +218
    Hi Paul,

I find the same thing. DVD (through HDMI - pixel-to-pixel from a Pioneer 868) is stunning. I watched "Star Wars", "Under The Tuscan Sun", and "Gladiator" this week already and they look better than they did in the cinema! So much detail and eye popping colour! TV is not so good and like you I have to watch it in Normal mode.

I have set mine up using Video Essentials etc etc and when Sim2 installed it Alan Roser did some adjustments as well. I find Sim2 and Jeff (RTFM on the boards) so helpful and knowledgable.

The centre speaker issue was solved by mounting the speaker on a centre speaker stand in front of the RTX 55 H below the screen. It works like a charm but it is marginally closer to me than my left and right speakers. Thank fully my Pioneer amp takes this into account with it's auto set-up.

All in all very happy and I'm now looking at a Uvem HCPC.

Glad your pleased with your too! :thumbsup:

10. Pavel

Pavel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Fully agree about how helpful Jeff and Alan are :thumbsup:

I'm resisting the Uvem, for now (Phil Hale is also a great guy if you haven't spoken to him).

Fortunately I haven't got room for the 3 chip DLP Sim2 projector that I saw the Uvem demoed through at Jeff's, otherwise I'd want one. It had the best picture I've ever seen. View at your own peril...