Sim2 or In-focus ?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sidicks, Aug 4, 2005.

1. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    Given which forum I'm posting this in, I guess I know the response I'll get by please can you help with the following:

I'm looking to buy a projector and screen which must be HD compatible. Budget was intended to be around £3k-£5k, to include screen, and so based on reviews I've seen, then the In-focus 7210 looked to be a good bet at £4.5k with electric screen from Creative audio.

However, to complicate matters, I've recently seen the Sim2 HT300 E-volution with a free 7-foot motorised screen for £6k or the Sim2 Domino 30H with a 7-foot manual screen for £4k (I guess there is an option to upgrade this to an electric screen for an additional cost -say £500 or so), both as part of the Sevenoakshifi summer sale.

I guess my questions are:
    - Am I better off buying a projector at the lower end of the Sim2 scale (the Domino 30H) or a projector at the upper end of the In-focus scale (7210) or would it be worth spending the £1.5k or so to go for the HT-300 Evo?
    - How much difference does the screen make - do retailers tend to bundle screens the projectors with screens they can't get rid of directly?
    - Is the ongoing warranty and support (software upgrades etc) superior for Sim2 ?

Plaese justify your answer !

Thanks

Sidicks

2. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Hi Sidicks,

was making the very same decision, and went for the 30H,

Due to the following facts

1 Have A Domino 20 and the picture on that is great some would assume the 30h is going to be better
    2 the Sim2 as a bulb life of 6000 hours and is garanteed 1year or 3000 hour ???
    3 the throw of the Infocus put it right above my head, although is quiet is it that quiet due to it's open nature

hope this helps

steve

3. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember
    Previously Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    I would of course say spend the extra £1.5k and get yourself a Grand Cinema! I don't think you will look back :devil:

On the 7210 vs 30H question s.morris raised the important point that a 7210 will want to be a lot closer to the screen than a Domino will for the same screen size, you may find non-PQ considerations like this override your decision! For instance I have had quite a few customers who have gone for the Screenplay over the Domino as it gives a slightly brighter image, I personally prefer the more theatrical Sim picture and to me it has more satisfying black detail (and level). Plus of course the excellent back-up, lamp life (I've seen a sim with a lot more than 6k on a bulb) and comprehensive gaurantee.

Free screens or discounted screens are likely to not be the best, if they're the basic ones that Sim2 supplies they're not bad but I would want to upgrade to Da-Lite if budget afforded it. (Ideally a Stewart!)

4. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    The proposed screen will be in a room with a pool table, and will probably only be 6ft-7ft screen

What price are we talking for a Da-lite or Stewart screen in these sizes and does the (small) size of image required mean that different decision regarding choice of projector would be made?

Thanks

sidicks

5. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    If you get a Da-Lite screen with a Sim at the same time you will get a good discount from your dealer (in fact you may do with a Stewart too). I don't think I'm allowed to post what kind of prices we could offer but to give you an idea i've put some list prices below:

Da-Lite Electric 80" wide 1.3 gain £1,650
    Da-Lite Tab-Tension Electric 80" wide 1.3 gain £3,335
    Stewart Tab-Tension Electric 80" wide Studiotek 130 £3,800

Tab-Tensioning is preffered to ensure a flat image free from ripples in the image or curling at the edges, but many have gotten away with a non-tensioned screen of this size lowered against a wall and not seen any adverse ripples.

The size of image only effects the choice of projector if you are limited in where the projector must be physically installed. This is simply because the Sims have a longer throw than most which may be good or bad depending on the room as they will need to be further away from the screen than other projectors might.

6. sidicks

sidicks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,301
    I think spending £3k on a projector screen might be the quickest way to a divorce........

I could see myself spending up to £1,000 if I was convinced of the benefits relative to a cheaper screen, but that would depend on the amount spent on the projector and what deals were available.

Thanks for your input

sidicks

7. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

A £1000 ish screen will generally give you a better motor (queit, reliable, steady motion), decent fabric and well machined case. What can be had for less I must admit is getting better, the standard Sim2 screens are an example - an rrp of £930 for 2m wide (£1,100 for tab tension version).

However beware going too cheap as you will enter a world of curling screen material, or looser manufacturing tolerances which may end up with you looking at a not 100% accurate screen (the great Owl Othello Screen affair of not perfectly 16:9 screens comes to mind!). Material on cheaper screens also tends to be a basic 1.0 or 1.5 gain matte white which won't be best suited to the Sim.

Happy hunting!!

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +410
    Is this a mistake? Surely the Da-lite tab-tensioned isn't that close to the Stewart pricewise? I though a 106" tab tensioned Da-lite was only 2 or so grand. I was under the impression that Stewarts were a fair bit better and a lot more expensive!

9. NonPayingMember

NonPayingMember

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +830
    At that size it is quite close, the bigger you go the more significant the gap. 8ft wide Stewart is £4,300 10ft is just over £5,000. I don't know if with Da-Lite you can get cheaper fabrics and/or cheaper screens themselves.

10. robfitzp

robfitzp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Do they have to be electric?

I am not at all bothered about having an electric screen but would like to get something a little better than my current projecta procinema when I upgrade the projector.

Are they available with added black drop at the bottom (to cover a window)?

Cheers
    Rob