1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 IR extesion??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by gandley, Jul 20, 2005.

1. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    I have just braved installing my sim2 on the ceiling in the room next door with a small hole poking through the wall. the result are pretty neat and it totaly gets rid of the PJ noise issues many face. down side is the IR senor for the the PJ is also next door so i need to get some form of IR extension which will put the sensor this side of the wall
    I have no idea what would be compatable with the sim2 senor.

I guess im not the first to do this as some have there PJs in cupboards so they must of got around the senor issue some how.

Any advice or if someone can recommend a product i would be well happy :smashin:

2. RTFM

RTFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Marmitek Powermid XL Remote Control Extenders are an excellent product for this application.

Try Keene Electronics or CPC

Jeff

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    I wouldn't want to be trying to mount a small black pyramid on the ceiling aiming at a projector!!!

Keene do have some useful little devices of their own for IR sending (requires hardwiring though), they just don't have brilliantly discrete IR gizmos (although still better than a black pyramid!). Xantech do the best IR repeaters. I always rig something like this up on projection systems so there is a sensor where the screen is sending off IR to the various bits of kit in cupboards and up to the projector. People always aim the remote at the screen!!!

4. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    xantech stuff looks good but i just realy dont know what i need to buy, i only realy need the projector IR relocated, my offer stuff is located in an open face cuboard.

so what do i need to get?

would somthing like this do?

http://www.letsautomate.com/10877.cfm?

5. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    With some AV amps all you will need is a single emitter, connected to the minijack REMOTE OUT connection on the back of the amp. The AV amp will then supply the power and the IR reciever.

Otherwise you will need one emitter, one reciever, and one module to connect the two and apply power. Dinkylink recievers are great, very subtle installation, if this is going near a plasma though use the plasma friendly reciever (plasmas leak IR everywhere!). Blink IR Mouse Emitter will be fine to stick to the IR sensor on the projector

6. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    my amp is the pioneer ax10i, so if it has the remote out i can then control the PJ via this?

7. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Don't know on the Pioneers, never tried and I think they only have proprietry SR control

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Thanks for the help, i have orderd the dinkylink with the cb60 module + mouse emitter and the blaster emitter. wasnt cheap but it will sort the system out proper and can be used for some not to distant future plans.

Again thanks for the input, very useful :smashin:

9. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Just an update,

Installed all the equipment which was real easy. took about 10mins but will still have to do a proper tidy.

Does what it says on the box, this Xantec stuff works great. mouse emitter fits right over the PJs sensor and gives a really nice and bright response light.

Thanks for the recommendations Liam, The Dinkylink receiver realy is discrete and even though i have used a 15m extension lead the response is extremely quick. I now point at the screen to activate all components. I used a blaster emitter for the cubboard and this operates 4 components on its own.(it kinda fills the area with IR i guess)
    All components for the xantec stuff are tiny so blend in well

So Result :smashin:

10. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Glad you went for the better kit, the temptation is always to go with the cheper Keene stuff but I'm sure using Xantech is practically quicker than standing in front of the projector aiming directly at it!!!!!!