SIM2 HT500 help

RupertB

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Having some trouble with my Sim2 HT500 proctor. Basically the two lights on the back of the projector are on, (as should happen when it is initially powered up), however after this it should go into stand-by mode ready for use. Unfortunately this is not the case. They remain on and the projector wont power up.

Any ideas?

I've left it turned off at the mains for a day before powering up again but same problem.

Please help, World Cup imminent!

Have you tried speaking to the dealer you purchased it from or Sim2 themselves?

Well that's the next step but €500 for a B&O call out is a little steep. Just wondering if anyone has experience with these matters.

You could try PMing RTFM who has a lot of knowledge of SIM2 products (including the 500). He might be able to help or point you in the right direction.

Gary

Thanks Gary,

I'll give him a try, just need to get IM turned on for my account.

2.5 years ago I purchased a Sim2 Domino 80E for about £6000 or $10K USD. It was all fine until one day 2 months ago the picture completely went into long lines all out of sync and unwatchable. I sent it to SIM2 service centre via my dealer for repair. They could not find the fault for 4 weeks. Once they did, it was so expensive to fix that they did not dare tell me. The dealer forced them to do it under warranty but SIM2 Italy would refuse to supply board as the warranty period had expired 6 months before. So the service centre of SIM2 in the UK could not bring themselves to leave me stranded. They went for the cheap option of finding the component that went wrong as oppose to changing the board. I got it back with a new bulb (it was due for a change) and £750 bill. Took it out of the box and there was a screw retelling inside the projector. Turned it on anyway and in 3-5 minutes had a message of “fan failure”. Back I have gone to the dealer again. I can tell you that for this kind of money you do not expect this kind of reliability and service. The high end AV dealer (leading UK high end retailer) that I purchased it from 2.5 years ago stopped dealing with them because of unreliability. Watch out if you want to buy a SIM product. I would go for the reliable JVC range instead. Much better value and reliable!

2.5 years ago I purchased a Sim2 Domino 80E... ... the warranty period had expired 6 months before. So the service centre of SIM2 in the UK could not bring themselves to leave me stranded....I got it back with a new bulb (it was due for a change) and £750 bill. Took it out of the box and there was a screw retelling inside the projector. Turned it on anyway and in 3-5 minutes had a message of “fan failure”. ...I can tell you that for this kind of money you do not expect this kind of reliability and service. The high end AV dealer (leading UK high end retailer) that I purchased it from 2.5 years ago stopped dealing with them because of unreliability.
So let me get this straight… The projector was out of warranty (and I thought it was only a 12 month warranty, but could be wrong), so the manufacturer said it was a chargeable repair but the UK distributor took pity on you. They did the more complex and time consuming job of a component level repair to save you a big chunk of cash. Then they shipped it back with £600 quids worth of new lamp and £25 quids worth of insured delivery – which means the repair was done for about £125. This "leading UK high end retailer" just gave you the projector without checking it first – yeah, that's 1st class service, right there, and you noticed the rattling screw but thought “O, what the hell, I'll plug it in anyway”, and so you killed the fan.

Apart from the problem with the loose screw, tell me again what bit of that was the "bad service"???

Last edited:
It appears to me that the bit about "bad service" is one of customer service and support. To put things in another context, say Ptaaghol had spent his $10,000 on a new Kia instead and found that the engine needed to be rebuilt a few months out of a 2 year warranty. Most people would say he got a lemon and got screwed. If there were enough of these failures, I would expect the gov't to get involved and force a recall. How is this different? He paid for a top quality projector. It's reasonable to expect that it should last as long as an Optoma that could be had for 1/10th the price. Sim2 also has a practice of selling new replacement components for discontinued product on an as is basis and with no warranty. What is that?

I'd just like to say that having owned 4 Sim2's in a row, I've found Sim2 UK to be fantastic to deal with. I can't speak about Sim2 Italy but Sim2 UK's service has been one of the reasons I've never considered upgrading to anything else.

It appears to me that the bit about "bad service" is one of customer service and support. To put things in another context, say Ptaaghol had spent his $10,000 on a new Kia instead and found that the engine needed to be rebuilt a few months out of a 2 year warranty. Most people would say he got a lemon and got screwed. If there were enough of these failures, I would expect the gov't to get involved and force a recall. How is this different? He paid for a top quality projector. It's reasonable to expect that it should last as long as an Optoma that could be had for 1/10th the price. Sim2 also has a practice of selling new replacement components for discontinued product on an as is basis and with no warranty. What is that?
But Ptaaghol hasn't had bad service from Sim2 UK. If anything they've gone out of their way to be helpful. If anyone should be accused of bad service then isn't it the dealer?

I also can't agree with your analogy to the car industry though. For one thing, people don't travel in projectors, and you're unlikely to be killed in a collision caused by a faulty projector. :laugh:

I'll echo Timmy C's thoughts on SIM2's excellent UK customer service. For any out of warranty repairs I have found the to be very helpful indeed.

I'm going to disagree with Chris Frost though, my Sim2HT500 once fell on my foot and the shock almost killed me.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom