1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sim2 HT300

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by -Spike-, Jun 26, 2002.

1. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Hi all,

After several months of seeing LCD and DLP projectors I had the pleasure of demoing the Sim2 HT300-I just had to have it!

Finally got the pj up and running, been using it for about two weeks now. Thought I'd put forward my very basic, novice review. Have to say I'm very pleased with the picture, pretty good black level, really nice colours especially red-just as I remember the demo.

Had seen the HT200 and DM and on both I'd experienced the dreaded rainbow effect, actually I suffered quite bad with the HT200, on the HT300 however I saw none and still haven't experienced any in two weeks, fingers crossed!

As I've mentioned in another thread the only negative thing at the moment is the colour wheel noise, it can be quite intrusive at times, careful placement or a hush box is needed maybe.

Anyway thought I'd try for a couple of pics. Had the camera since last Saturday, haven't read the instructions, just swithched off the flash and clicked away. Then just uploaded pics (they're a little blurry)

Feed is an Arcam Dv88 via component- first time I'd soldered anything in my life!

Gladiator screenshots from R2 copy to follow below

Camera is a digital Olympus C220 2.0 megapixel

Hope you enjoy

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Pic 1

Attached Files:

3. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Pic 2..

Attached Files:

4. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    And finally...

Attached Files:

5. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks Spikey

Nice shots. The detail apparent in the hand and gravel is excellent. My HT300 arrived yesterday - Couldn't wait for the full install (completed next week sometime) so just projected onto my cream coloured walls in a fairly bright room. Whilst obviously there was a slight colour cast with this temporary setup what did stand out was the level of detail apparent on even the most mundane of viewing material.
    AndyS

6. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Cheers Andy,

Had to decrease the size of the pics due to file size:( , never mind.

Re-read my first post, shows that I was in a bit of a hurry as I'd just got my first Superbit DVD (Fith Element) and was itching to demo it. Since then thought of loads of other things to say (why does that always happen?), didn't even mention the plus of software upgrades:rolleyes:

All the best with the install

I'll expect some pics

7. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hi Spikey,

Very nice pictures. Many thanks. I've owned the HT300 since Christmas and I'm still amazed by the picture quality. I hope you continue to enjoy it.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

8. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Hi Paul,

Thanks.

Been following your posts on the "other" forum, still going for the Firehawk and HCPC?

Now that's a demo I would have loved to have seen and afforded;)

Keep us informed

9. docsmith2k1

docsmith2k1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Paul,

Do you know the current software version (mines 2.06) and how you go about getting it and upgrading. Is this something that can be done by the end user, or is it a back to base job. (Having just recieved mine I don't feel like parting with it any time soon).
    Oops - I've just read the answer to this question on your post in the owl forum.
    Spikey,

I know I'm getting dangerously off thread here but do you feel the superbit DVDs offer value for money ? I've noticed that some of my "standard" DVDs are encoded at a higher bit rate AND STILL have all the extras we've come to expect of top line releases.

AndyS

10. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +160
    Hi Spikey,

Paul Sparks and myself are still working out the details of the Firehawk HTPC combo. I am wanting a Firehawk or 1.2 gain with an electri- horizontal masking screen built in and this is causing some difficulty with control. There are other options, but I will let you all know what the final outcome is. My ideal would indeed be the Firehawk with HTPC. But we will see.

Doc, just for the record, the new software upgrade version is 2.07 and it is easily user upgradable. By the way, the advantages of the new superbit CD's are contentious. Some find them a significant improvement, others struggle to see any difference. For what its worth, I have compared the 5th Element ordinary and superbit and I could'nt really see any major differences. The thing to do is to buy one and see for yourself.

Best Wishes,

Paul H